Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, that chest freezer looks ouchie! I feel for it, man! :(

Anyways, I can finally join this thread! WOOT! Just got done washing the beast inside and out. It doesn't look much better. Oh well it's cold!

2008-05-08%20001.jpg

2008-05-08%20002.jpg

I have shanks already, need to buy beer/gas line, a check valve Tee, and forward sealing faucets. Then it's GO TIME!

The beers in there are my Damn Cheeky! English IPA, my Rye Hobgoblin, and my SMaSH 2Row/Hersbrucker. Don't ask me how they taste, they've been hiding in a closet waiting for a fridge! :D

"I dig the chalkboard paint! How well does it work?"

Works great if you apply it properly on a smooth surface. Here's my kegerator...can't wait to get some actual homebrew flowing out of it!

kegerator2-5-08.jpg

Complete with a home made tower blower
IMG_0763-1.jpg

And wireless temp monitoring from the kitchen since the kegerator is in the basement
IMG_0766-1.jpg

I dig the wireless temp idea, I am totally going to employ this technique in my kegerator

love that "empty" handle, I may have to come up with a variation of this. It is much better than unscrewscrewscrewscrewing the tap handle off and expecting my dumb friends to know what that means.

I can only seem to fit three cornies in my newly built kegerator (the fridge was $10! I haven't spent less than $10 on a single tap or fitting for it!)

Anybody know if there are any "flat-keg" technologies out there? I'd love to do four taps, and five would make me have a total beergasm. That would not be pretty. Don't worry, though, I don't have a Webcam.

Anyway, I'll post a photo shortly! There's only one tap in it now. It's connected to a keg of root beer. What can I do? I got a shed fulla bottles of beer, but the next batch of nut brown won't be ready for a week ... when it is, it's going right into a keg!:ban:

--Finn

I still need a few tap handles and maybe another coat of stain, but my new kegerator is basically done. It's a 7.2 cuft Frigidaire chest freezer with 2"x8" collar and a Ranco temperature controller. I put a 1"x12" face board on it and drilled 4 Perlick taps. I've got a 20# CO2 tank outside, the hose drilled through the collar to a 4-nipple manifold in the freezer. I used foamy weather stripping and silicone caulk to make it air-tight.

7-Kegerator-angle.jpg

6-Inside_freezer.jpg

5-first-brews.jpg

Finished mine about a month ago. Pardon the messy ass garage. The drip tray was custom made for me by a friend.

pictures_002.jpg

pictures_003.jpg

It can hold 4 cornies when there isn't so many bottles, haha.

pictures_020.jpg

How many times have you snagged your leg on that thing just walking by? I know you're thankful you knew someone that could make it up for you at all but man, 2" less deep would have been awesome.

Got this bad boy for free on craigslist...

S7300009.jpg

Here it is after the conversion. Stout faucet in the center, a hole drilled (and plugged at the moment) on either side waiting for standard faucets...

PICT0056.jpg

Fits 3 cornys and up to a 20# tank. Thinking I could do 5# tank each of co2 and beer gas when I have a stout on tap...

PICT0057.jpg

Obviously, it's not complete yet - still need a drip tray, beer & gas lines, and (as budget allows) 2 more faucets/shanks, but I'm almost there...

?

I'm not there yet, but I picked up 4 cornies from a brew-buddy this weekend. They've been sitting for a while and need some TLC, but I'm one step closer. Next on the list is a regulator and tank.

never seen a square one like that, is the compressor below the entire floor of the freezer, so the floor would be all one level? anyway, nice build!

Ugh, I'm trying to freakin get a hold of the guys at kegconnection! I've spoken to Tod like 3 times and he keeps wanting to transfer me to some dude named BJ....who won't call me back

Hopefully I can post a pic in this thread this weekend :rockin:

never seen a square one like that, is the compressor below the entire floor of the freezer, so the floor would be all one level?...

Yep... I'd never seen one like it before either. Like I said, free on craigslist. It was very apparent when I picked it up that it had previously been used for fishing bait. Oh well, nothing a little bleach and some elbow grease couldn't take care of!

...anyway, nice build!

Thanks!

_

Posted a pic of mine some months ago, but I just added on so I thought I'd share the recent updates.
I was only serving commercial before and just started to keg home brew. Actually, kegged my first brew this morning lol. Added the tap last night and did the lines, today I kegged my Lemongrass Wheat so you'll see that sitting next to a 1/2 of MLite (don't slay me too bad, I just went through a 1/2 of 3Floyds Alpha King and that can get expensive lol) w/the 5# co2 behind that has a splitter.
I plan on adding a 3rd tap in the middle at some point but in the mean time I need to order a long drip tray to mount that span.

2008-05-24AHSLemongrassWheatkegg-6.jpg

2008-05-24AHSLemongrassWheatkegg-1.jpg

Thanks to the Austin Homebrew sale, I now have my distributor and gas lines hooked up, and both of my faucets plumbed!! :D

The interior of the door is old sh!tty plastic so I need to rip off the panel and put some of that "shower board" on.... and then I can finally tighten the shanks sufficiently, because right now they make the door warp, and you have to bend the door every time you shut it so it seals.

Pictures once I get that done. WOOT!

Here's mine. It's in the living room by the couch. Those tap handles are a grenade and "the stick". Oh, and yes, the freezer door is connected to the fridge door so I don't knock the tap handles.

Oh, and yes, the freezer door is connected to the fridge door so I don't knock the tap handles.

I like your setup!
That is something I may have to consider myself.
I've only 1 large handle though so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with it and just leave the standard black handles on.

:mug:

I am saddened, my fridge is not working as well as I had hoped. The compressor runs a LOT to try to keep it cold. Even with it dialed all the way to "MAX COLD", it maintains about 45F. But worst of all, the freezer does not appear to work at all. I took the rear cover off and pulled aside the insulation bag, and the feed and return lines going to the freezer were encased in 1" of ice on all sides... I think it's having to fight so hard to cool the fridge that the freon isn't even making it to the freezer compartment.

On the bright side, SWMBO wants a new kitchen fridge. We're gonna try to find one in a couple weeks, and then I get the old side-by-side for my kegerator. Then this old hulk will go into the basement (HOW I don't know, that thing is HEAVY!) and get a Ranco for a fermentation cabinet. I'm confident that even in its old age, it can at least do *that* much.

Edit: BUT I'm still SUPER HAPPY with all my new gear from the Austin Homebrew sale! My manifold and hoses are all hooked up and both taps are a'flowing like a charm! It's just the fridge itself that is making me sad.

MrFebtober, you might get your wish - My soon-to-be-new Kegerator is a side-by-side, and it has a leak on the water inlet so the icemaker and water dispenser don't work.....but if the guts still work (since the leak is all the way at the bottom of the fridge) then it may indeed have to be an Apfelwein dispenser.... or alternately just a soda water dispenser!

I have a GE mini fridge that has 28" of vertical clearance with the freezer compartment. Do you bend the freezer compartment down, how did you do it without ruining the connections. Any advise, tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Well I was actually in the Netherlands and was 25 miles from Belgium. We did take a day trip to Germany and every place and I mean every place servers beer, what a wonderful thing. Best of all it was for work and they picked up the whole tab.

Back