Show me your two tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
There are plenty of single tier and three tier stand threads going on. I'm interested in seeing the more rare two tier stands you've built.

Just finished mine so you might have already seen it.

brewstand-spargeMode.jpg

Full build here: http://www.shegoguebrew.com/2015/02/basement-induction-brewery-build-brew.html

I was just thinking about how I wanna do a 2 tier.

I have the mash tun cooler on a chair which allows me to wheel it around to the kettle or hlt. It doesn't have a large stroke on the gas cylinder. But how neat would it be to be able to wheel it over to the kettle and push the lift button and have it gravity drain without a pump...

My current setup lives on a Harbor Freight two level push cart. I run two SQ14 propane burners. I have a cooler for my gravity fed HLT. As soon as I get into a house I will be making the change over to an all electric brewery. I plan on keeping a 2 tier design because it takes up less space, well, it can if you design it in that way. That's why I'm surprised there aren't more two tiered systems out there.

Sorry for posting twice. The app is giving me all kinds of issues.

haha no worry
top left - mash tun
bottom left - direct fired HLT
right - boil kettle

wanted something to gravity drain the mash - so i copied morebeers setup, with bed frames!

although i'm electric now, it did work wonderfully...

haha no worry

top left - mash tun

bottom left - direct fired HLT

right - boil kettle

wanted something to gravity drain the mash - so i copied morebeers setup, with bed frames!

Yeah, I've contemplated putting the MLT high, but that's harder to clean out unless you've got a hinged frame to dump it out. I've always had to pump out of my MLT how I've got it set up. It would probably be better your way, especially fly sparging.

Rivenin,
What did you use for a thermometer and bulkhead on your mash tun. I have heard they are prone to leaking.

Thanks

Just like this.

116072d1366217430-brewmometer-m-l-tun-img_0369.jpg

Drill a hole, get a solid rubber stopper and put a small hole in the middle of the stopper, put the rubber stopper in backward and put the thermometer from the otherside.

was cheap and easy and has lasted me 2 mash tuns and 2-3 years

Yeah, I've contemplated putting the MLT high, but that's harder to clean out unless you've got a hinged frame to dump it out. I've always had to pump out of my MLT how I've got it set up. It would probably be better your way, especially fly sparging.

Just like most other brewers, it's not tied down, just take it off and run over to your compost/trash,etc and dump and clean

Thanks Rivenin. It doesnt get any cheaper than that

of course!

Just like most other brewers, it's not tied down, just take it off and run over to your compost/trash,etc and dump and clean

of course!

Why did you have to go and make me feel like a tool for wanting a fancy over engineered brew stand? Lol. (Been talking to my wife?) Ive tried to figure out a way to go electric that requires minimal setup/cleanup/tear down. That's why I want away from my rickety HF pushcart. Portable electric sounds sketchy with a couple of 220 VAC cords running around the floor. The two tier design, for my purpose keeps a small footprint, has more stability than a 3 tier (no experience with them, just a bad feeling I have about 180F water over my head), and would be cheaper due to only needing a single pump.

Did you use any kind of special paint or powder coat? How is the bed frame handling the weight, I'd love to see updated pictures of your electric modifications.

Why did you have to go and make me feel like a tool for wanting a fancy over engineered brew stand? Lol. (Been talking to my wife?) Ive tried to figure out a way to go electric that requires minimal setup/cleanup/tear down. That's why I want away from my rickety HF pushcart. Portable electric sounds sketchy with a couple of 220 VAC cords running around the floor. The two tier design, for my purpose keeps a small footprint, has more stability than a 3 tier (no experience with them, just a bad feeling I have about 180F water over my head), and would be cheaper due to only needing a single pump.

Hi there
Here is a 3 tier GRAVITY feed that is very stable. Recently converted to natural gas.

image.jpg

Did you use any kind of special paint or powder coat? How is the bed frame handling the weight, I'd love to see updated pictures of your electric modifications.

i of course do not have any more recent shots - but here is this! :)

IMG_20140316_135947_zpsonvpvd8g.jpg

i have a pot not instead of the keggle, and couldn't be happier haha - but this'll give you an idea!

As far as powdercoating - i haven't done any on it, it's really harshly done, so i want to redo it soon with actual square tubing - but in all honesty, i'ts holding up very well, just think of what bedframes withstand on day to day abuse - this shouldn't cause an issue at all.

Here's my weldless 2 tier system. 2 Blichmann burners bolted in with the short legs attached. 1 pump used for my HLT to my mash tun and to circulate ice water through the plate chiller in the winter. (detached garage with no water source) I've done 2 batches so far and it's been working out great! I'm going to add a switch for the pump and if I ever go single tier the mash tun level is a separate piece I can easily remove.
:mug:

IMG_0138_2.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41322952@N08/

Here is my two-tier. I used the plan that Jason had posted and had my welders put it together per his plans. I really like it. I tore apart my turkey fryers and mounted the burners and shrouds. I went with this so I only have to use one pump.

Cheers,

Jeremy
41322952@N08

Looks nice. I like the chiller.

Here's my weldless 2 tier system. 2 Blichmann burners bolted in with the short legs attached. 1 pump used for my HLT to my mash tun and to circulate ice water through the plate chiller in the winter. (detached garage with no water source) I've done 2 batches so far and it's been working out great! I'm going to add a switch for the pump and if I ever go single tier the mash tun level is a separate piece I can easily remove.

:mug:

I'm gona pick up a pond pump soon to take care of chilling below about 120F. Texas is tough to brew in for me.

Here's a picture of the tiers sans vessels -- but including the dog.

IMG_0862.jpg

"A man's got to know his limitations." One of mine is that I never learned to weld.

I thought about a bolt together bed frame design, but a coworker offered to weld, so I won't argue with that. Besides, knowing how to weld, being proficient, and having the money for all the equipment are all separate problems to address.

Mines still a work in progress. Just finishing up with a new RIMS tube and switching over to a third keggle for the MLT - the HLT will have a dedicated pump (hidden in the lower corner of the first step) - I'll be adding some 1/2" stainless hard lines and 3 ways this weekend - More or less a copy of the Brewmagic-

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

Back