Show me your pre chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i'd like to make a pre-chiller.. think of a HERMS system in a orange igloo cooler filled with ice water.

From hose bib, to Igloo ice water cooler to CFC.. seems like it would work bitchen

just get some quick disconnects for my house and make up some custom garden hoses or use clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot.

-=Jason=-

It'd work great. If you don't own the pre-chiller coil already though, the pond pump is cheaper, and it works better IME.

If starting with nothing, I too would go with the IC coil and pond pump in a cooler full of ice water.
One more brew day to confirm,, and I'll likely be taking the pre-chiller out of service.

If starting with nothing, I too would go with the IC coil and pond pump in a cooler full of ice water.
One more brew day to confirm,, and I'll likely be taking the pre-chiller out of service.

you'll quickly use up your ice cold water if pumping from the ice cold cooler unless you recirculate back into the cooler, but then pumping 180 Degree water back into your ice bath is going to melt ice with a quickness

-=Jason=-

you'll quickly use up your ice cold water if pumping from the ice cold cooler unless you recirculate back into the cooler, but then pumping 180 Degree water back into your ice bath is going to melt ice with a quickness

-=Jason=-

Ahh, ok.. well tell that to my system then... It seems to have missed the memo :mug:

Using faucet water to refill the ice cooler and not recirculating chiller water for the first few minutes till wort temps are 160 or so...then putting the chiller output in to the cooler and turning off the tap water works for me just fine.

I've only done this 5 times now.... so perhaps after doing it for years and becoming an expert,. my ice will melt too quickly and I'll have to do something else...

Shooosh.. don't tell my ice it's not supposed to last...

Here is one of them:

freshsnow1.jpg

Tap water doesn't get above 45 degrees, ever. :D

Mt Hood bro?

Avgguy:

Thanks for sharing. I figure it takes me about 30 minutes with the same setup. I actually am in the mode now where I'm slowing the chilling period on purpose so I can do hopstands/whirlpools at the temps I'm looking for.

One question: Do you agitate your wort? I use a pump to whirlpool the wort in the opposite direction of the flow through the IC. Makeshift counterflow.

Just stir it with a starsaned paddle.

Anyone ever tried a 2 gallon bucket, with a coil of tubing, filled with water and frozen with the ends out? I think I found my project for tomorrow...

Anyone ever tried a 2 gallon bucket, with a coil of tubing, filled with water and frozen with the ends out? I think I found my project for tomorrow...

Nope, you will end up with a warm thermo layer of water around the coil, insulating it from the ice.

I vaguely remember seeing a guy who posted a Youtube video with this setup. From what I recall it worked but the results were not extremely impressive.

I guess I'm a cheapskate.

I live in Florida and my tap water runs at between 78 and 80 during the summer months. I use an immersion chiller to get the wort down to 80. Takes about 15 minutes or so. I then move the wort to my fermenter, put the airlock on and set it aside. On brew day, and when I have fermenting beer in the house, I set the thermostat to 68. I pitch my yeast the next morning when the wort has had enough time to get down to 68. This has worked very well for me, and it allows me to wait for the yeast starter to finish.

I've thought about buying a plate chiller, or another IC and doing a pre-chill, but I'm too lazy and cheap I suppose. Maybe some day, but for the time being, I'm going to keep things as simple as I can.

I make my own ice, both cubed and 1/2 gallon sized..
But when I cool a 5.25 gal batch in Texas summer heat I use 3-4 1/2 gal blocks and 15 pounds of cubed.

Here is another nice way that you could potentially reuse the output. If you have freezer space.

I guess I'm a cheapskate.

I live in Florida and my tap water runs at between 78 and 80 during the summer months. I use an immersion chiller to get the wort down to 80. Takes about 15 minutes or so. I then move the wort to my fermenter, put the airlock on and set it aside. On brew day, and when I have fermenting beer in the house, I set the thermostat to 68. I pitch my yeast the next morning when the wort has had enough time to get down to 68. This has worked very well for me, and it allows me to wait for the yeast starter to finish.

I've thought about buying a plate chiller, or another IC and doing a pre-chill, but I'm too lazy and cheap I suppose. Maybe some day, but for the time being, I'm going to keep things as simple as I can.

Depending on how cool you typically keep your house in the summer, dropping the thermostat to 68 degrees would likely be more expensive than picking up a bag of ice, assuming you already own a pond pump.

Latest posts

Back