Shoutout to everyone’s favorite LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monmouth00

Reaction score
I’m lucky to live close to a certain home brew shop that a lot of folks on this site use for online ordering. The owner posts here frequently, has his own YouTube channel, and he’s from New Jersey. I have a feeling you know who I’m talking about.
Well, I have to tell you, having this guy in my backyard is a blessing. I’ve already learned a ton from his YouTube channel, and all the highly informative posts here, but being able to bounce questions off him as I pieced together my new rig is incredibly invaluable. I’d order from his store even if it wasn’t 10 minutes from my house.
In person, he’s every bit as friendly, mellow, and helpful as he comes across in his posts and videos.
Unfortunately now that he’s built me a new rig, and I’m switching to BIAB, I’m probably going to pepper him with questions until he bans me from the store.
Not a paid advertisement- just a sincere thank you for being patient with a newbie. This dude has earned my business and should get yours too.

Attachments

• FECC5354-019A-4DDB-8031-C65358802F14.jpeg
    FECC5354-019A-4DDB-8031-C65358802F14.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
  • 2F194088-121D-4264-94F7-9065626E5841.jpeg
    2F194088-121D-4264-94F7-9065626E5841.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • 8602114F-F4AD-408A-A8D8-283B6C450902.jpeg
    8602114F-F4AD-408A-A8D8-283B6C450902.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • 56C9B6AA-4046-40F6-BDD1-7E40B679F3E5.jpeg
    56C9B6AA-4046-40F6-BDD1-7E40B679F3E5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • 7E0574AD-3C16-4E08-8B9D-DD63B85D719A.jpeg
    7E0574AD-3C16-4E08-8B9D-DD63B85D719A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • 8815541F-3C78-4239-85D0-6492015C3647.jpeg
    8815541F-3C78-4239-85D0-6492015C3647.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about. I've frequented his web store many times over the years and have received nothing but great service and products from him. And his videos are incredibly helpful. Bob's your uncle!

But as for my own LHBS, I need to throw a shout out to Windsor Homebrew here in Orange County, CA. They recently opened a second location even closer to me, which is super convenient. This LBHS has great selection, knowledgeable sales folks and great prices. Plus, they fill my CO2 tanks. I've even had them source equipment for prices that make me want to support them. Interestingly, they've been doing pretty good business during this pandemic, which is great. If you are in SoCal, you really should check them out. I have nothing but good experiences with them.

Here in NW Washington we lost my two favorites: Homebrew Heaven in Everett and Larry's in Kent. Although I see a Larry's in another area but it doesn't look like a walk-in store. One in Oak harbor looks good but haven't been there since Covid struck. Currently support NW Brewer's Supply in Burlington WA. They are friendly and very accomodating.

I just got started last month and the folks at Ferment Station in Knoxville, TN have been insanely helpful and nice. Even going so far that when I was looking for a serious kettle to brew in, I emailed them to see if they could get one that members here recommended. I was told they didn't have anything like it but I'd really like it if I got it. Didn't try to flip me into something else just gave honest advice. After that, anything I need, I go there first.

We doing shoutouts? Cool beans. I wanna give props to Homebrew Party in San Antonio, TX. Back in 2014 I started my first brew and they helped me with caps, sanitizer and the like. Now I’m back into homebrew and I’ve bugged them religiously for more equipment. They even joked that they should hire me cuz they see me so much.

My thanks to my LHBS, The Home Brewery in Ozark, MO. I was using their website to compare prices on equipment before I realized they were just thirty minutes away. I'm cheap, if their prices hadn't been so good, I would have ordered elsewhere. I went in once just to ask questions and take notes. I received considerate and helpful answers, so I went back a few days later and stocked up on equipment and supplies.

I go back every month or so, always super helpful and friendly.

I’m lucky to live close to a certain home brew shop that a lot of folks on this site use for online ordering. The owner posts here frequently, has his own YouTube channel, and he’s from New Jersey. I have a feeling you know who I’m talking about.
Well, I have to tell you, having this guy in my backyard is a blessing. I’ve already learned a ton from his YouTube channel, and all the highly informative posts here, but being able to bounce questions off him as I pieced together my new rig is incredibly invaluable. I’d order from his store even if it wasn’t 10 minutes from my house.
In person, he’s every bit as friendly, mellow, and helpful as he comes across in his posts and videos.
Unfortunately now that he’s built me a new rig, and I’m switching to BIAB, I’m probably going to pepper him with questions until he bans me from the store.
Not a paid advertisement- just a sincere thank you for being patient with a newbie. This dude has earned my business and should get yours too.
Is that 2 120v elements? All weldless?
How do you like brewing on it?

Southern Brewing and Winery, Tampa. Prices can’t be beat, huge grain selection, hops, yeast, and Co2 fills. Always an expert on hand to answer questions. Most importantly, there own selection of craft beer on tap. Get supplies, drink a few, it’s a day.

Dave from Kedco in Farmingdale Long Island. I’m at the point where I email him my recipe and he’ll get right back as to what he has in stock (usually everything) as well as suggestions for substitutions if he’s out or if he has something he thinks I should try.
While we can talk in great technical jargon, it’s nice to over hear him keep it simple when a new brewer walks in looking to get started or take it up to the next level. The balance of expertise and communications skills is a rare combination.

I hit the lottery I’m having those guys build me a wine cellar/brewery/tasting room

Shoutout to Amarillo Brewing Supply
Friendly , knowledgeable and helpful owners. 2300 Bell St Amarillo,Tx

Is that 2 120v elements? All weldless?
How do you like brewing on it?
Yep- two 120v elements. One controlled by the inkbird PID, the other plugged directly into the wall - on two different circuits obviously.
All weldless, along with the spigot and thermowell.
I like it much, much better than the old propane burner. I’m two brews in and still dialing in the process. Getting the water to strike temp, then up to boil is a breeze. The only problem I seem to be having is maintaining a constant temp from top to bottom. The thermowell is next to the elements and seems to read higher than the temps at the top of the mash. I’m still not sure exactly what the grain bed temp is since my handheld thermometer doesn’t reach that deep.
Im confident I’ll figure it out soon, and should be on my way. I’d highly recommend the setup if you’re considering the move from traditional propane.
Good luck!!

Attachments

• 9ED30BDA-7977-4A9E-AF20-CB1855C9A744.jpeg
    9ED30BDA-7977-4A9E-AF20-CB1855C9A744.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 362F5F11-22CA-46BF-B22B-734568F13906.jpeg
    362F5F11-22CA-46BF-B22B-734568F13906.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
My LHBS is HomeBrewMart at the first Ballast Point location in San Diego. Super helpful staff, always has been a great place to go get ingredients and supplies, and sometimes a tasting flight (altho their quality has varied dramatically lately)

My LBHS is Southern Hills Homebrew Supply in Roanoke VA. Robb is the best ! Amazing inventory and absolutely the best customer service. I can order on-line and pick up parts and pieces, hops, yeast, and my grain bill (milled and bagged) at the curb. I don't even get out of the car. (oh... they have a huge wine making inventory, too)

Long time reader, first time poster. S/O to South Hills Brewing Supply, Pittsburgh PA. I've tried a bunch of homebrew shops since I started homebrewing and this is my favorite place. Helpful, friendly staff. They have everything I need, and if they don't they'll get it for you.

Dan at South Bay Brewing Supply Co. in Torrance, CA has been no end of helpful knowledge and wisdom in this journey: from partial mash in a home stockpot with a sink full of ice and carboys on the bathroom floor, to my current multi-vessel system with full stainless steel fermentation-temp controlled- and a keezer with 3 taps. He's even helping out a local brewpub which has hit a rough patch; he's brewing for them on his days off! Strand Brewer's Club meets in his store (or they will again soon!), and he hosts drop-offs for comps. This dude shreds in the brewing arena, and he helps everyone because community matters.

My local LHBS is Love2Brew in North Brunswick, NJ. I email my recipes, they are processed fast - usually same day. If there's questions or out of stock they call me. Awesome place!
I'm in Jersey too - might check this place out. Thanks!

If you're in SW Ohio, check out HBYOB (HomeBrew Your Own Beer). It's neat, clean, well-stocked and in a very convenient location just off I-75 and I-675 near the Dayton Mall. I was in there today to pick up a bag of grain and some other stuff for an upcoming brew, and they had everything I was looking for plus some!

Joey, the guy behind the counter (and maybe the owner) was very friendly, easy to deal with, and very helpful putting my order together.

I think it's my new go-to store in SW Ohio. They will ship as well.

I was not asked to post this, and I'm not being compensated for this endorsement.

Last edited:
Shoutout to Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson, Texas. Kelly and the guys have been there for something like 20 years and have a wealth of knowledge and experience to offer. They're open seven days a week so they're there in pinch when you need that last "thing" you forgot on brew day. They're also steadfast supporters on our local homebrew club and let us use the store as a drop off site for competitions.

All in all, a good local shop to do business with.

As you can see from the number of post, I am pretty new to this hobby. That being said, pretty sure my LHBS is the same one Monmouth00 and many of you use as well. Bobby’s store is just 10 minutes from my house. Matter of fact just picked up a few supplies this afternoon. I have never met him in person, just email chat and he has always been great. He has a new permanent customer. Right now as a newbie all my buying is pretty small, but who knows where we go from here. Hopefully when we push through this pandemic the store will open again for in store visits so I can meet them and hopefully not bother them with too many questions.

I think MyLHBS in Seven Corners, VA is quite good.

They bent over backwards to keep me rolling during the pandemic and they have the unenviable task of dealing with NOVA arseholes. In spite of that, they're a friendly, eager group of people.

I regret that I only see them a few times a year for 55lb bag pickups, but I'm happy to avoid online store rates to subject myself to a quick incursion into NOVA.

Last edited:
OP you are lucky to have Bobby's store in your backyard. He's my favorite online retailer for brewing hardware but I've made it into the store once or twice too. Long Island New York has had a difficult time keeping LHBS going, not sure why, seem to be plenty of homebrewers in the area. My main go-to is Karp's Hardware and Homebrew Shop and Long Island Ammo (who needs anything else right?). My other "local" favorite is Maltose Express in CT. Really awesome LHBS with brewery next door and good bottle shop on other side. It's only about 25 miles away as a crow flies but is an expensive ferry ride for me to get to it. When work or other needs take me to CT I try to schedule my trip to be able to visit Maltose. Come to think of it, was a work trip that got me into Bobby's store too.

As you can see from the number of post, I am pretty new to this hobby. That being said, pretty sure my LHBS is the same one Monmouth00 and many of you use as well. Bobby’s store is just 10 minutes from my house. Matter of fact just picked up a few supplies this afternoon. I have never met him in person, just email chat and he has always been great. He has a new permanent customer. Right now as a newbie all my buying is pretty small, but who knows where we go from here. Hopefully when we push through this pandemic the store will open again for in store visits so I can meet them and hopefully not bother them with too many questions.

Where are you in Jersey?

Yes, while he service I've gotten during the all-online orders is still great, I'm really looking forward to the store opening again soon. I love browsing and getting ideas for equipment and recipes. It's also going to be a lot more convenient for picking up those last-minute things on brew day.

Things in New Jersey are opening up more each week, so here's to hoping my LHBS will soon too!

My LHBS is AlaBrew in Birmingham AL. Kim and his wife run this store with a wealth of knowledge, support and enthusiasm. They offer most everything you will ever need in supplies and equipment. I have relied of them for equipment, supplies and information for over 25 years. This store also host brew club meeting and participates in local homebrew events. Great store, great prices and friendly customer service that is second to none.

I do miss seeing my customers in the store. It's a catch 22 actually. My family has really gotten used to the banker's hours we've been running because I haven't missed a single dinner in a year and I play with my kids all weekend. It's going to be challenging to find a balance there. I'll probably start out with limited hours a couple weekdays and a half day Saturday but don't quote me on that.

My LHBS is Cap N Cork Homebrew in Macomb, MI. Great group of guys and are always very helpful. Hopefully with things go back to somewhat normal they can get the homebrew club going again, they only had one meeting and then pandemic! They now have a full online store as well thanks to the pandemic! I have also used AIH mentioned by someone else for some online orders in the past.

Back