Shoutout to everyone’s favorite LHBS

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Monmouth00

Reaction score
I’m lucky to live close to a certain home brew shop that a lot of folks on this site use for online ordering. The owner posts here frequently, has his own YouTube channel, and he’s from New Jersey. I have a feeling you know who I’m talking about.
Well, I have to tell you, having this guy in my backyard is a blessing. I’ve already learned a ton from his YouTube channel, and all the highly informative posts here, but being able to bounce questions off him as I pieced together my new rig is incredibly invaluable. I’d order from his store even if it wasn’t 10 minutes from my house.
In person, he’s every bit as friendly, mellow, and helpful as he comes across in his posts and videos.
Unfortunately now that he’s built me a new rig, and I’m switching to BIAB, I’m probably going to pepper him with questions until he bans me from the store.
Not a paid advertisement- just a sincere thank you for being patient with a newbie. This dude has earned my business and should get yours too.

Attachments

Sammy86

Still thirsty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
One of the best ways to help small businesses other than buying from them of course it hyping them up...not that this gentleman doesn't need or deserve it from his contributions to this site and the general h.b. Community but I would dare say he's a Homebrew treasure

craigmw

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I know who you are talking about. I've frequented his web store many times over the years and have received nothing but great service and products from him. And his videos are incredibly helpful. Bob's your uncle!

But as for my own LHBS, I need to throw a shout out to Windsor Homebrew here in Orange County, CA. They recently opened a second location even closer to me, which is super convenient. This LBHS has great selection, knowledgeable sales folks and great prices. Plus, they fill my CO2 tanks. I've even had them source equipment for prices that make me want to support them. Interestingly, they've been doing pretty good business during this pandemic, which is great. If you are in SoCal, you really should check them out. I have nothing but good experiences with them.

Grizwold1

Grizwold Brewing
Reaction score
Here in NW Washington we lost my two favorites: Homebrew Heaven in Everett and Larry's in Kent. Although I see a Larry's in another area but it doesn't look like a walk-in store. One in Oak harbor looks good but haven't been there since Covid struck. Currently support NW Brewer's Supply in Burlington WA. They are friendly and very accomodating.

Jhedrick83

Reaction score
I just got started last month and the folks at Ferment Station in Knoxville, TN have been insanely helpful and nice. Even going so far that when I was looking for a serious kettle to brew in, I emailed them to see if they could get one that members here recommended. I was told they didn't have anything like it but I'd really like it if I got it. Didn't try to flip me into something else just gave honest advice. After that, anything I need, I go there first.

Phoenix7801

Reaction score
We doing shoutouts? Cool beans. I wanna give props to Homebrew Party in San Antonio, TX. Back in 2014 I started my first brew and they helped me with caps, sanitizer and the like. Now I’m back into homebrew and I’ve bugged them religiously for more equipment. They even joked that they should hire me cuz they see me so much.

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Jerry at Bluff Brew Haus keeps Dubuque, IA and the surrounding area stocked with the goods. Great place to shop, and our dry Irish stout should be ready by St. Pattys!

PberBob

Student of the Dark Arts
Reaction score
Lots of great LHBS’s in the SF Bay Area, but Jade and Roberto at Hoptech in Dublin are tremendous. Great stock and friendly expert advice!

RolandD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My thanks to my LHBS, The Home Brewery in Ozark, MO. I was using their website to compare prices on equipment before I realized they were just thirty minutes away. I'm cheap, if their prices hadn't been so good, I would have ordered elsewhere. I went in once just to ask questions and take notes. I received considerate and helpful answers, so I went back a few days later and stocked up on equipment and supplies.

I go back every month or so, always super helpful and friendly.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m lucky to live close to a certain home brew shop that a lot of folks on this site use for online ordering. The owner posts here frequently, has his own YouTube channel, and he’s from New Jersey. I have a feeling you know who I’m talking about.
Well, I have to tell you, having this guy in my backyard is a blessing. I’ve already learned a ton from his YouTube channel, and all the highly informative posts here, but being able to bounce questions off him as I pieced together my new rig is incredibly invaluable. I’d order from his store even if it wasn’t 10 minutes from my house.
In person, he’s every bit as friendly, mellow, and helpful as he comes across in his posts and videos.
Unfortunately now that he’s built me a new rig, and I’m switching to BIAB, I’m probably going to pepper him with questions until he bans me from the store.
Not a paid advertisement- just a sincere thank you for being patient with a newbie. This dude has earned my business and should get yours too.
Is that 2 120v elements? All weldless?
How do you like brewing on it?

Scottyward

Reaction score
Southern Brewing and Winery, Tampa. Prices can’t be beat, huge grain selection, hops, yeast, and Co2 fills. Always an expert on hand to answer questions. Most importantly, there own selection of craft beer on tap. Get supplies, drink a few, it’s a day.

NSMikeD

Reaction score
Dave from Kedco in Farmingdale Long Island. I’m at the point where I email him my recipe and he’ll get right back as to what he has in stock (usually everything) as well as suggestions for substitutions if he’s out or if he has something he thinks I should try.
While we can talk in great technical jargon, it’s nice to over hear him keep it simple when a new brewer walks in looking to get started or take it up to the next level. The balance of expertise and communications skills is a rare combination.

I hit the lottery I’m having those guys build me a wine cellar/brewery/tasting room

cattmoble

Reaction score
Shoutout to Amarillo Brewing Supply
Friendly , knowledgeable and helpful owners. 2300 Bell St Amarillo,Tx

OP
Monmouth00

Monmouth00

Reaction score
Is that 2 120v elements? All weldless?
How do you like brewing on it?
Yep- two 120v elements. One controlled by the inkbird PID, the other plugged directly into the wall - on two different circuits obviously.
All weldless, along with the spigot and thermowell.
I like it much, much better than the old propane burner. I’m two brews in and still dialing in the process. Getting the water to strike temp, then up to boil is a breeze. The only problem I seem to be having is maintaining a constant temp from top to bottom. The thermowell is next to the elements and seems to read higher than the temps at the top of the mash. I’m still not sure exactly what the grain bed temp is since my handheld thermometer doesn’t reach that deep.
Im confident I’ll figure it out soon, and should be on my way. I’d highly recommend the setup if you’re considering the move from traditional propane.
Good luck!!

Attachments

bkboiler

Reaction score
My LHBS is HomeBrewMart at the first Ballast Point location in San Diego. Super helpful staff, always has been a great place to go get ingredients and supplies, and sometimes a tasting flight (altho their quality has varied dramatically lately)

Jim N

Reaction score
My LBHS is Southern Hills Homebrew Supply in Roanoke VA. Robb is the best ! Amazing inventory and absolutely the best customer service. I can order on-line and pick up parts and pieces, hops, yeast, and my grain bill (milled and bagged) at the curb. I don't even get out of the car. (oh... they have a huge wine making inventory, too)

BeerAndTele

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. S/O to South Hills Brewing Supply, Pittsburgh PA. I've tried a bunch of homebrew shops since I started homebrewing and this is my favorite place. Helpful, friendly staff. They have everything I need, and if they don't they'll get it for you.

Reaction score
Dan at South Bay Brewing Supply Co. in Torrance, CA has been no end of helpful knowledge and wisdom in this journey: from partial mash in a home stockpot with a sink full of ice and carboys on the bathroom floor, to my current multi-vessel system with full stainless steel fermentation-temp controlled- and a keezer with 3 taps. He's even helping out a local brewpub which has hit a rough patch; he's brewing for them on his days off! Strand Brewer's Club meets in his store (or they will again soon!), and he hosts drop-offs for comps. This dude shreds in the brewing arena, and he helps everyone because community matters.