Shoulder Surgery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str1p3s

Reaction score
I have a torn labrum in my throwing shoulder. I'm 32 and I play baseball in an amateur league in Dayton, Ohio. I'm no superstar, but I contribute and my plan is to play until I am no longer contributing to my team, however long that may be.

Currently, I take prescription anti-inflammatory before games and I use a thera-band to warm up my shoulder and that helps dull the pain enough to make it through the game. It still hurts and my arm strength and accuracy is not where it used to be. It doesn't really bother me in every day life though.

I'm debating getting it fixed. I want to play baseball until I am ready to quit and I also want to be able to throw with my daughter if she chooses to play softball or any future son or daughter I may have. I may want to switch to softball at some point as well. I also play flag football with friends. But I don't know if it's worth the time off and rehab work. My doctor said it would be 4-6 weeks in a sling and then 3 months before I could throw a whiffle ball and start working my way up. And obviously, brewing would only be possible with a lot of help.

Anyone have this surgery before? Even if not, what would you do if it were you? Or better yet, any doctors or PTs that have some advice would be appreciated also.

I'm an athletic trainer by profession and practiced for several years in an outpatient PT clinic and high school. During that time, I helped folks of all ages and athletic abilities (HS, college, weekend warriors) with shoulder rehab after SLAP tears.

Only you can make the decision regarding whether playing baseball is worth the hassle & discomfort.

Regarding your long term function, you should ask your surgeon about additional shoulder problems you may experience later in life if you don't have the labrum repaired now. It's the kind of injury you can tweak even in non-athletic activities, and, over time, regular re-aggravation (and the corresponding inflammation) may cause problems with the rotator cuff and shoulder socket.

All the best...

I have a torn labrum in my throwing shoulder. I'm 32 and I play baseball in an amateur league in Dayton, Ohio. I'm no superstar, but I contribute and my plan is to play until I am no longer contributing to my team, however long that may be.

Currently, I take prescription anti-inflammatory before games and I use a thera-band to warm up my shoulder and that helps dull the pain enough to make it through the game. It still hurts and my arm strength and accuracy is not where it used to be. It doesn't really bother me in every day life though.

I'm debating getting it fixed. I want to play baseball until I am ready to quit and I also want to be able to throw with my daughter if she chooses to play softball or any future son or daughter I may have. I may want to switch to softball at some point as well. I also play flag football with friends. But I don't know if it's worth the time off and rehab work. My doctor said it would be 4-6 weeks in a sling and then 3 months before I could throw a whiffle ball and start working my way up. And obviously, brewing would only be possible with a lot of help.

Anyone have this surgery before? Even if not, what would you do if it were you? Or better yet, any doctors or PTs that have some advice would be appreciated also.

First off good to see another ball player around here, I still play as well and I too will be damned I'm not quitting until I'm done!

As far as the surgery goes I had a torn labrum front and back and a torn rotator cuff so I needed the full reconstruction...got it done 12 years ago this September so I have some experience and knowledge of the rehab and playing after. I also got this surgery done when I was 17 years old so take it however you want it, I was a high school catcher who got abused by his coaches. The doc and I figured out I had made over 80,000 throws in two years it wasn't pretty.

4-6 weeks in the sling sucks...you can't sleep on it and if you're not a back or opposite side shoulder sleeper it sucks...then the rehab starts...the PT will massage and move your arm in positions you never thought possible just to make sure there is no scar tissue building up....if it is and they are moving that arm and you hear a crack like a sound of lightening boy are you in for shock!

Throwing is pretty much out of the question for most likely six months...you start out slow with whiffle and tennis balls and move your way up to weighted balls, basically just elbow up and following through. It hurts too man because the muscles are relearning how to throw not broken. Then once the PT and Doc are happy with the progress they move you to regular throwing....start really slow 5-10 throws 2-3 times a week and build up from there.

I'll be honest my arm was never the same...it took me a full calendar year to actually have some muster on the ball...my PT was crazy though 4X a week for six months to get me ready for my senior year and then summer ball before college ball started in the fall...it was crazy.

If I were to rewind and do it again I would absolutely do it...there was a point where I couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder and I was popping ibuprofen like candy just to get through a game/practice.

As of now I no longer catch mainly because my arm can't handle making the throws down to 2B anymore. I happily sit my butt at 1B and make a relay throw every now and again but it wasn't what it used to be by any means. It's not like Tommy John where you're getting something new put in and it helps...they are literally tying you back together and hoping your muscle strength returns.

As for normal things get it done...I have so much fun throwing my baby cousins and nieces and nephews in the air and catching them and seeing them smile and giggle...wouldn't be possible without the surgery.

Thanks for sharing your story Sammy :mug:

It seems like my high school teammates thought that if they weren't playing in college, then they were too old for baseball after graduating. I say I'm too old when my old ass can't catch up to a fastball or chase down a fly ball anymore!

It sounds like your decision was a no brainer. You were so young and were heading to college. It also seems like yours was a lot worse than mine. I have no problem doing anything except throwing a baseball or football. I can even work my shoulders in the gym with no limitations. It's pretty frustrating. I'd rather be able to throw a ball than do shoulder presses haha. Then again maybe that means the rehab won't be as bad or as long as yours was. It's encouraging to hear that you had it done and are still playing after 17 years though! Thanks for sharing!

Back