Should you care about brands of LME in recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heybillharlan

Reaction score
Hi- going to brew my first non-kit and will follow this recipe:

https://byo.com/bock/item/2293-abita-amber-clone

The recipe calls for specific brands of LME and DME:

Alexander’s pale malt extract syrup
Muntons extra light dried malt extract

Simple question: should I care about getting the same brand?

If yes, I'd have to order online and want to check if It matters and vs whatever brand they have at my local homebrew shop.

Thanks!!

Sit you taste the same type of malt (the grain kernel) from different brands you can taste a difference, but it i wouldn't get crazy about it if the right brand weren't available.

I would use DME instead, it remains much fresher than anything in a can, IMO.

Pilsner Light DME (e.g., Briess) has my preference, use steeping grains to get the rest of color and flavor. Or even better, do a mini mash if you want to use Munich, Vienna, or flaked goods.

The only time I used LME was when it was poured from a barrel at my LHBS. A barrel lasted them about 3-4 weeks, so it was always pretty fresh.

That said, add only half of your extract at the beginning of the boil, the rest at flameout.

Getting the same brand would of course make your beer as close to the original recipe as possible, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If, as you say, this is your first non kit brew, get whatever brand of extract is easiest and instead concern yourself more with the process.

Hi- going to brew my first non-kit

[
The recipe calls for specific brands of LME and DME:

Simple question: should I care about getting the same brand?

Simple answer: Go ahead and use whatever LME you can easily get. The beer won't be the same, but maybe you'll like it better, who knows?
More complex answer: Skip the LME, get a BIAB bag and some grain, toss it in your kettle and do an all grain brew. You'll be glad you got away from kits and Extract.
Note: the clone recipe from BYO has an all grain option, but the mash temps seem low. If you decide to go with BIAB all grain for this recipe, I think the recipe/process should be tweaked.

I suspect the reason it calls for Alexander is that it is the only brand sold in 4 lb. cans.

Latest posts

Back