Should I worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
I was checking the gravity of my last batch and when I was doing this my hydrometer accidentally fell into my primary. I use a wine thief to check gravity, which was sanitized, but the Hydrometer was not. I normally do not return the sample to the primary, but I had a moment of insanity and dumped the sample back in, with the untainted hydrometer. Don't know what I was thinking. I have had in in the primary for about 2 weeks. Is there anything to worry about at this stage? Also my gravity was at about 1.020. Any suggestions to help lower it a little. I have just been using single stage fermentation. The instructions say I should be about 1.009-1.013.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I think as long as your hydrometer was cleaned before storing away in it's tube,you should be ok,since there's some alcohol present. I'd leave it sit & check it in 5 days or so. It's probably just not done yet.

Don't worry too much about infecting your batch with the un-sanitized hydrometer. There is alcohol present after 2 weeks of fermentation that should help kill off bacteria on it. Infections in beer are harder to get than you would think.

As for getting the gravity down, try rocking the fermenter gently to rouse the yeast. It may get them started again. Try not to splash too much, though. Also, if you're fermenting on the cooler end of the yeast's range try raising the temperature a little bit. What yeast are you using and at what temp has it been fermenting?

Current temp, according to the thermometer that came with my kit is 68 degrees. I used a dry Wyeast.

The temp should be within range. If this is the first gravity reading you've taken, give it some time as unionrdr said and check it again. If the gravity has been stagnant for a few days, try rousing the yeast.

I have found that if I transfer to a secondary and let it sit at room temp for about a week, the SG will drop down to the range you expect. Don't fret about raising the temp now - most of the activity has already happened and you will not change the flavor profile of the yeast at this late stage even though you are a few degrees above optimum.

It depends on the yeast & what is being brewed,but 68F is a good ale temp,as I've found. Especially this time of year.

Latest posts

Back