SHOULD i USE THESE HOPS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I just got about 2 oz from my chinnok and there is evidence of insects eating them and some are a little brown on the edges of the leaves. Should I use them or discard them. Any thought for next year to keep the bugs away?

Thanks

From everything I have read and been told on here, brown arond the edges means they are ready to be harvested. As far as bugs I dont know. I will be interested to see what people say since I have had a few of my hops munched on by bugs.

Hop bugs should only be used for bittering and flavor. :D Actually, if you don't see insects in the cones then you should be fine.

SHOULD I USE them as bittering or flavor and aroma?
I am working on a brew and would like to incorperate these in some how.
Some type of IPA of course.

i would use them. I wouldnt dry hop with 'em but i would use them for bittering (if, like me, your the experimental type) or for aroma. Hell whats a lil extra protein?

What sort of bugs any way?

If you had the combination of both - it sounds like aphids. But aphids on hop plants?

They will come out in the boil if you bitter, and die in the alcohol if you aromatize.
-Me

Yes. Aphids and Mites are the two most prominent pests.

The ladybugs are likely there to feast on teh latter.

Commercial yards comprise of acres of plants. Likely with all manner of insect inhabitants. And yet, commerical hops get used for all manner of hopping charges.

So, why then do homegrowers freak so easily when they see a bug on their hops.

Rinse the hops daily to keep bugs at bay. Pluck the flowers and dry them. Use them as you would a store bought variety. Just knowing that you may have to do a batch or two to get the bittering just right.

I had J beetles eat the edges of some cones, they turned brown a little sooner than the others but they still smelled great and I plan to use for flavor or aroma additions. So... go ahead and use them, they'll be fine.

If you had the combination of both - it sounds like aphids. But aphids on hop plants?

They will come out in the boil if you bitter, and die in the alcohol if you aromatize.
-Me

Aphids practically destroyed my Cascades this year. Neglect on my part did the rest.

But yeah, sounds like spider mites and possibly aphids. I noticed that when I was able to rid my hops of aphids, spider mites soon took up a home there.

Still what better way to die than to become beer :cross:

I just got about 2 oz from my chinnok and there is evidence of insects eating them and some are a little brown on the edges of the leaves. Should I use them or discard them. Any thought for next year to keep the bugs away?

Thanks

alot of nursury suppy stores will order you lady bugs to set free in your garden, they will eat the aphids, not sure about spider mites though

Back