Should I use a 10gallon water cooler or a Keggle for a mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysam

Reaction score
Just what the title says. I am going to build my first brew rig and step up from the turkey fryer. So, I am going to do a three tier rig because I do not want to buy a pump right now. I have three keggles (or have access to them) and one 10 gallon water cooler. Should I use a keggle or the water cooler for my mash tun?

Pros for the water cooler:
Holds water temp pretty steady because of insulation
No need to buy another burner for under it

Pros for keggle:
5 gallons larger
Can put a burner under it

I will be doing 5 and 10 gallon batches. Nothing super high gravity, at most 7% alcohol.

Just what the title says. I am going to build my first brew rig and step up from the turkey fryer. So, I am going to do a three tier rig because I do not want to buy a pump right now. I have three keggles (or have access to them) and one 10 gallon water cooler. Should I use a keggle or the water cooler for my mash tun?

Pros for the water cooler:
Holds water temp pretty steady because of insulation
No need to buy another burner for under it

Pros for keggle:
5 gallons larger
Can put a burner under it

I will be doing 5 and 10 gallon batches. Nothing super high gravity, at most 7% alcohol.

I would go for the cooler personally. you dont have to worry about scorching mash with the cooler like the keggle holds temp well. odds are that you will want to try at least one high gravity brew probably will be 5 gallons and your normal drinkers below 1.060 at 10 gallons all within the realm of the cooler.

I dont know if cost is an factor a cooler with braid setup is alot cheaper than a keggle false bottom and burner

Coolers are easier and need less attention.
Kettles need almost constant attention but have a lot more flexibility.

I'm about to try the latter after years of the former.
I don't know if I'll stick with it yet.

I use 10 gallon coolers for both MLT and HLT. Well, the HLT is still under contruction.

Coolers are great for use as a MLT. Get your mash to the right temp, and just leave it alone. Or, if you are stepping, they do a great job of holding the temps between steps.

Back