Should I turn my oatmeal stout into a coffee stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HObrew

Reaction score
So I have an oatmeal stout in the fermenter and I wanted to put some Vietnamese Coffee in it to make it a Vietnamese Coffee Stout. I decided on this after brewing the beer so I haven't adjusted the recipe in any way. Not sure if it needs it I.E. foaming grains such as dextrine.

What are people's opinions on Coffee Stouts vs regular stouts?
I've tasted some that taste like old coffee filters and want to avoid that.

If you have made a coffee stout, did you adjust the grain bill for better head retention?

Do you recommend pouring cold brew in the beer or dry beaning in secondary/primary?

On the fence about it as I would really be doing it for cultural relevance at a party but don't want to risk sacrificing flavor for novelty.

:mug:

If you do decide to add coffee, go the cold brew route. It doesn't extract the oils that would kill your head retention.

If you do decide to add coffee, go the cold brew route. It doesn't extract the oils that would kill your head retention.

Thank you for that. Nothing uglier than a headless beer.

Any opinions on whether to do it or not?

I had a brown ale that I was disappointed in because of the bland flavor, so I added cold brewed coffee to the keg. So no change in recipe, obviously. It turned out just ok. I had "dry beaned" before also and I think the cold brew was the better way to go. A little goes a long way though.

As long as you use good coffee, treat whole coffee beans like they're dry hops. 2 oz. is plenty, but you could probably go as high as 4. Do it if you like coffee stouts!

Back