Should I take this Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CannibalAJ

Reaction score
My parents' refridgerator has been giving them problems lately and they are most likely getting a new one in the next few weeks. This frees up a fridge for me to use as beer storage :) or make a ferm chamber.

The question is "Is this fridge worth it?" The reason they are getting rid of it is that the "auto-defrost" feature doesn't seem to be working. There is a duct that runs from the freezer to the main fridge space that keeps clogging with ice. Does any one know what could be causing this? Again, is it worth the trouble? I would have to get it into my brew space, which is in my basement, in order to work on it and don't want to drag it up and down the stairs if its un-fixable.

Does the whole freezer compartment ice over too? Our fridge had the defrost timer go out on it, so the cycle never ran. Pretty easy $15 fix for me. If its not that, there are only a couple of other things it could be. A short or break in conductivity in the heater element itself. Wiring or fuse issue. I would guess maybe an hour to figure it out if you have a voltmeter.

If you used this as a kegerator, the ice clog would be a real problem. If you used it as a ferm chamber for ales only, I doubt it would clog at temps in the mid 60's. You'd just need a digital temp controller for $90 then.

It might keep give you problems if used as beer storage. It might work ok for a ferm chamber. I have a chest freezer on a temp controler, it only runs a few times a day when I have a beer fermenting.

My parents' refridgerator has been giving them problems lately and they are most likely getting a new one in the next few weeks. This frees up a fridge for me to use as beer storage :) or make a ferm chamber.

The question is "Is this fridge worth it?" The reason they are getting rid of it is that the "auto-defrost" feature doesn't seem to be working. There is a duct that runs from the freezer to the main fridge space that keeps clogging with ice. Does any one know what could be causing this? Again, is it worth the trouble? I would have to get it into my brew space, which is in my basement, in order to work on it and don't want to drag it up and down the stairs if its un-fixable.

All depends on what the problem is. If it really is the defrost timer then grab the fridge but if the problem is low freon it's trash.

How long does it take to ice up? Weeks or months = bad defrost timer, days or hours = low freon.

I'd guess bad defrost timer, although when mine went out it would trip my breaker. Bought a new timer and all is well.

You don't have a whole lot to lose. If it is something simple you have a fridge for next to nothing. If it is something major, take it to the curb and let the trash man haul it off

First off, it doesn't cost much to try it. If it's something simple as a defrost timer, then you probably won't need it for ales and you could buy a cheap $25 STC-1000 dual stage temp controller off ebay and mount it directly into the fridge.

If the fridge ends up not working out, you still have a cheap controller for the next fridge, or as a sous-vide cooker or whatever.

Latest posts

Back