Should I send my RO to Ward Labs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
I recently installed a BRS RO system in my brewery (ok, it's my basement bathroom). The 4-stage unit performs beautifully - 276TDS in / 004TDS out. Assuming I use 100% RO to brew, is it still necessary to test my water even though TDS is so low?

If your RO system is working properly the remaining salts should be on the order of just a few ppm each. I wouldn't think it necessary to test unless you are unsure of the filter's effectiveness or you just want to establish a baseline for building your water.

Your TDS reading is your best assurance of how the system is performing. The RO profile given in Bru'n Water is a decent snapshot of what that water will be. A properly operating system will probably only deviate a few ppm from those values. Not enough to worry about.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of a fresh install compared to 4 months of usage or just before filter changes. You could post your results here for the education of the members.
:)

It would be interesting to see a comparison of a fresh install compared to 4 months of usage or just before filter changes. You could post your results here for the education of the members.
:)

I can do that. The inline TDS meter will certainly make it a snap.

I have noticed that there are fluctuations in the numbers. The fight against TDS creep has been a constant battle. And last week we didn't get above freezing for a few days and my feed TDS dropped by 30 points.

Back