Should I secondary ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelScime

Reaction score
Ok so I think primary is almost done, not sure but I might pull it when it stops bubbling so what I need to know is
1-do I need to secondary ferment/ how long and how do I know when to pull it out of primary
2- do I need to prime before bottling because I used 2 coopers kits to each batch

No need to secondary:)
Take a gravity reading at about 10 days and then another a few days later, if they are the same and in the acceptable range then add a week to clear and then package. No need to add yeast again

Sent from the Commune

So could I just give it a week after it's been bubbling 1-2 times a min and how long until I can drink after I bottle

Oh and I meant like add more sugar I don't think I will with double batch tho, it's going to be gross I think :/

At 10 days take a hydrometer reading. Three days later take another hydrometer reading. If the SG readings are the same fermentation is complete. Give your beer 3 to 7 more days for the yeast to clean up natural off flavors of the fermentation and time for the sediment to drop out and give you a clear beer.
A secondary vessel is unnecessary unless you have an addition like oak chips. No fermentation should be expected in a secondary vessel. Racking off the yeast before fermentation is complete can stall the fermentation.

Oh and I meant like add more sugar I don't think I will with double batch tho, it's going to be gross I think :/

You need to add sugar at bottling time, otherwise the beer will not carbonate in the bottle.

Based on some of your questions I would recommend checking out: http://www.howtobrew.com/

That book is an excellent resource to getting you going and understanding a lot of the best practices and reasons for doing things.

No real need to secondary unless you are adding additions to the fermenter or bulk aging for long periods of time (months).

I keep most of my beers in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle.

It works. Beer is yummy.

Now my poor 5-gallon glass Big Mouth fermenter gets lonely and is basically used as a rinse bucket when bottling.

Back