Should I rack barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJack887

Reaction score
Brewed my first barleywine but ended up with an extra half-gallon (a little less than 4gal total). I'm torn between racking to a 3gal carboy for secondary and losing the extra beer, or just bottling once fermentation is done. What do you guys recommend?

Do a reasonable primary (3 weeks) then if you want to bulk age, rack to carboy and bottle the remaining quart or two.

I'd leave it. A key flavor reason for racking is a fear of dying yeast giving off-flavors. This simply isn't a big worry in homebrewing due to the lack of head-pressure meaning the yeast aren't killed under the weight of the beer above. One of my most awarded beers was a Wee Heavy that I got busy and left in primary for 5 months before racking. Out of frustration I almost dumped it which would have been a HUGE mistake. Earlier this year I brewed a 10.6% barleywine and left it in primary for 3 months prior to racking, no off-flavors.

If you're worried leave it in primary for 4-6 weeks then bottle/keg.

Brewed my first barleywine but ended up with an extra half-gallon (a little less than 4gal total). I'm torn between racking to a 3gal carboy for secondary and losing the extra beer, or just bottling once fermentation is done. What do you guys recommend?

get an extra gallon jug (buy one of the apple juice jugs) - or condition a lot longer. Bottling is Ok too - the difference in bulk conditioning and bottle conditioning is not that big, but bulk conditioning is generally preferable. Just don't bottle until fermentation is done.

Latest posts

Back