Should I pitch fresh yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyrd01

Reaction score
On Friday I made a batch of Brandon O's Graff and used a Nottingham yeast slurry I had stored in the fridge from a batch of Apfelwein. The slurry was in a pint sized mason jar and had been in the fridge for about two weeks. I followed the Graff recipe exactly, aerated with my O2 set up, and pitched the yeast after allowing it to warm to room temperature. After no air lock activity for 48 hours (I know that's not an accurate way to judge fermentation) I pulled the lid off the bucket and took a gravity reading. It has not moved a single point. Should I go buy another packet of Notty and pitch it? Or should I wait it out?

Thanks!

I think I would pitch additional yeast. The slury may not have had any viable yeast cells left in it. I don't remember the ABV of apfelwein but at 14 days of storage and 11% ABV, according to Woodlandbrew, you would only have about 12% viable yeast cells in your slury.

Check his research on this here -> link

I use a ferm chamber so my temps are definitely correct. However, I did have the apfelwein on the yeast cake for about 2 months.

I think I would pitch additional yeast. The slury may not have had any viable yeast cells left in it. I don't remember the ABV of apfelwein but at 14 days of storage and 11% ABV, according to Woodlandbrew, you would only have about 12% viable yeast cells in your slury.

Check his research on this here -> link

Thanks for the link...interesting!

Latest posts

Back