Should I or Shouldn't I?- Okra Mead Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I try it?

• Go for it! Tell me how it goes!

• Seriously? The fact that you ask makes me think you are mentally ill.

• Dammit I clicked on another CreamyGoodness thread! ~Chapp

Results are only viewable after voting.
I tell you one thing... I was planning on using bitter melon next time if this worked. This really took the wind out of those sails.

Golddiggie said:
Never thought someone could get a negative score. :eek: :D

Yes, that's the one where the judges are actually looking for you to strip you of your equipment and bring you to justice.

I would pay to see a judges scoresheet of that.

"A - a beautiful golden color with a large mass floating in it remenescent of Cthulu.
M - Thick texture, reminescent of eel slime mixed with a nasal discharge
T - The kind of funk you can only get from an old shoe pulled from a lake whilst fishing toasted lightly over a campfire of old tires..."

One thing I learned from this debacle is that the average okra has more slime than you can possibly imagine. Instead of petro-chemical lubricants to be used in industry, I feel relatively certain we could harvest the power of okra slime to reduce our need for foreign oil... not to mention reduce our carbon footprint.

But yeah... the okra mead was nasty. I thought the espresso mead was kind of offputting and the lavendar mead tasted like soap, but this was something new entirely.

One thing I learned from this debacle is that the average okra has more slime than you can possibly imagine. Instead of petro-chemical lubricants to be used in industry, I feel relatively certain we could harvest the power of okra slime to reduce our need for foreign oil... not to mention reduce our carbon footprint.

But yeah... the okra mead was nasty. I thought the espresso mead was kind of offputting and the lavendar mead tasted like soap, but this was something new entirely.

Wonder what would happen if you combined all three. :eek: :D

I've got a fever. And there is only one cure. We need more of Creamy's risky concoctions with reviews.

Walken-Cowbell.jpg

Just got a thought. A terrible terrible thought.

What if I strained off the fruit into a jar and chilled.

Maybe the slime would solidify. I could then spoon it off like chicken fat and use for "adventures"... it was really the slime that gave it that distinctive warm boot taste, methinks.

CreamyGoodness said:
Just got a thought. A terrible terrible thought.

What if I strained off the fruit into a jar and chilled.

Maybe the slime would solidify. I could then spoon it off like chicken fat and use for "adventures"... it was really the slime that gave it that distinctive warm boot taste, methinks.

Okra schmaltz!

Personal lubricant? I just know your wife would love to get buggered with some okra sludge :D
Too far?

I think if you were to run it through a fine mesh strainer and can it, you could probably be pretty successful marketing the okra slime as a "green" lubricant. Charge $15/qt and the crunchy granola types will probably use it like WD40. Just make sure it comes in a recyclable container. Wonder if the same could be done for large dog slobber. I had a St. Bernard that constantly looked like it had swallowed a shoe and the laces were hanging out of her mouth. I'm sure that stuff could have easily been used for an industrial lubricant.

CG, did your face turn as green as the okra when you tried it? And did it actually make it down to your stomach or was it rejected on initial contact with the your tongue? You sir, will be remembered as a man of progressive brewing science. On your death from the terrible, yet ambitious, nightshade mead project which is surely to come, all brewers will pour one out for our homie. I'll even go so far as to buy and drink (gah!) a bottle of Rogue Doughnut Voodoo as an homage to your obsession with.....interesting libations.

I think if you were to run it through a fine mesh strainer and can it, you could probably be pretty successful marketing the okra slime as a "green" lubricant. Charge $15/qt and the crunchy granola types will probably use it like WD40. Just make sure it comes in a recyclable container. Wonder if the same could be done for large dog slobber. I had a St. Bernard that constantly looked like it had swallowed a shoe and the laces were hanging out of her mouth. I'm sure that stuff could have easily been used for an industrial lubricant.

CG, did your face turn as green as the okra when you tried it? And did it actually make it down to your stomach or was it rejected on initial contact with the your tongue? You sir, will be remembered as a man of progressive brewing science. On your death from the terrible, yet ambitious, nightshade mead project which is surely to come, all brewers will pour one out for our homie. I'll even go so far as to buy and drink (gah!) a bottle of Rogue Doughnut Voodoo as an homage to your obsession with.....interesting libations.

I applaud your experiment Creamy!

Someday one will turn out good.......I recommend to brew more beer though. Beer is more likely to meld with something crazy than mead IMHO.

I'm going to have to say, yes, too far.
But if I were to package it for vegans...
Do it... :D
So many of you had no faith that this experiment would end well. Well, I'm here to say it really didnt end well.

We tried to talk some sense into you but you wanted nothing to do with it. Well, maybe you'll listen a bit more next time... Yeah, right... :D

In my defense, a woman I just met tasted my celery mead and said "James I love you". Imagine my discomfort until I realized both her boyfriend and my wife were laughing.

True story!

Good god man that is vile! At least you manned up to the plate and tried it though. I probably would have thrown in the towel after realizing how much slime was involved.

It was rather unpleasant. On one occassion in my teens I ate a raw egg to see what it was like. This was like that, but less neutral.

I think the only thing to do now is to out-gross yourself with another experimental brew. Something way out there. Think outside the box. Maybe something like shrimp-shell mead.

The worst part of the slime is that it seperates from the rest of the liquid. If that werent the case, I would say that it... in MINISCULE amounts, would make a fine clarifying agent or add body (like the old put a banana in secondary trick).

If anyone is willing to try putting... say... one pod in a whole gallon of mead, I would be interested in seeing the results.

Im not so interested in trying it myself.

Back