Creamy's JA?M Score Sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Everyone knows I've dickered around with breadyeast for a few years now, and I have come up with some... shall we say.... interesting varients on JAOM. Honey remained the same, 25 raisins, 1 tsp breadyeast, water etc. Fruit/plant life addition was added in ROUGHLY equal volumes. Beverage was consumed generally at the moment it was clear enough to read through. I didnt allow them to age... for scientific consistency of control groups (read: I'm a booze hound who cant wait). Below is a running scorecard of those... melomels... I have thrown together over the years.

Mixed Berries (3 seperate 1 gallon batches)- wingood clarity. Nice mixed berry flavor shines through. Light purple in color (more red than purple). A bit hot, but not unpleasantly. Would probably mellow with age.

Blueberries (3 seperate 1 gallon batches)- win very similar to the above. Blueberries were washed and frozen and then added. Reddish blue color.

Peaches (1 1 gallon batch)- wina bit cloudy, but passibly clear. Tastes of peaches. Rather nice actually, but the sliced peaches at the bottom turn into an unappetizing lump.

Espresso (1 1 liter bottle experiment)- fail Yeck. Instead of brewing the espresso, which would have been smart, I added a few tablespoons to the water and honey. Mud colored. Tasted like cold. sweetened, weak coffee mixed with cheap vodka. I would rather pick a fist-fight with Billy-Klubb than drink this again (but I would try making a coffee mead again).

Okra (1 1 liter bottle experiment) fail Horrible, terrible idea. The video played elsewhere shows everything there is to know about this monstronsity. I'm glad I tried it, but I will never try it again.

Asparagus (1 1 liter bottle experiment) win Great light-green/amber color, clear as a bell, nice asparagus flavor, a tad sweeter than a chard. I wouldnt do it again, I dont think, but my friend and I really enjoyed it, and killed the bottle.

Guava-raspberry (1 1 gallon batch)- win gorgeous. Light pink color, a litle astringency in the background (not unpleasant), very fruity flavor. Cleared up nicely too. Drank this at my bach party.

Pears (3 1 gallon batches with different pears) winconsistantly good. Light straw color. The bosc pear batch had a bit of a grainy mouthfeel, which was actually kind of a neat change.

Frozen michigan cherries (1 gallon batch) fail Robotussin. Yeck.

Serrano and hotsauce, the Ring O' Fire (1 liter experiment) eh I liked the spiciness of the serranos, but the hotsauce didnt give me the color I was looking for, and added an unpleasant vinegar element.

Celery Seed and Celery Leaves (1 liter experiment)- win I liked this a lot. A lot like Dr. Brown's Celery Soda with an undertone of chocolatey flavor. I should make this again, but class it up a bit with decent yeast and perhaps extract the seeds.

Pineapple (at least 10 1-gallon batches)- win My wife's favorite. Tastes like pineapples, bright yellow color, with a silky mouthfeel. Yes please.

Persimmon and Cinnamon (1 liter experiment)- eh Tanic. Huge punch of Cinnamon. Pale yellow.

Hoosier Hooch (Indiana Honey and Sweet Corn)- Currently a very pale straw color. Kernels are decending. Looks like it will be interesting if nothing else. Actually... this one is made with Knotty so maybe it doesnt count.

Will add more if I remember ones I have forgotten . Oh yeah, hide this from fatbloke, he'll roll his eyes. :fro:

Is this also a place to suggest new variations to try? You're pretty far along into running through the alphabet (by first letter of the main variant ingredient). Looks like D & F might be next. Daikon? Fennel?

I dont see any reason we shouldnt use this thread for ideas. Both Daikon AND fennel sound like they would be pretty interesting in a mead, actually.

So around how much fruit juice per gallon? Especially interested in the pineapple.

Thought about trying a bacon mead? Im planning one from a secondary on a BOMM soon.

Asparagus sounds pretty entertaining, so does fennel. I love cool green flavors, I'd consider a cucumber batch with a light honey. Lemon verbana (I did make this and it was tasty), lemon sorrell, cilantro?

Can u post the pineapple recipe? It sounds really good and I wonder if it will effect grilled cheese sandwiches

The pineapple recipe is simple. 1/2 of a fresh pineapple, peeled but not cored, cut into "spears" that fit in the mouth of the jug swiping out the oranges.

I feel like I missed the private joke on the grilled cheese sandwiches... maybe I just need more coffee this morning.

Back