Should I offer my hot pepper beer to my trick-or-treating neighbors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sterling214

Reaction score
I have 6 stouts and 6 amber ales that I bottled with 1 hot pepper each. Tonight I will be tasting one of them, to see how much heat was transferred, and it the peppers negatively affected the taste. My question is should I just ice a few and offer them to my neighbors while they bring their kids around for trick-or-treating, or would most people not want a spicy beer? I don't know many of these people very well, and want to offer up some homebrew, but am running dangerously low on non peppered beer.

My guess would be to not offer them the pepper beer or if it is good tell them it is pepper beer. Even if it is not hot to you, some people are really sensitive to hot foods. My mom is one, and I KNOW she would not be happy if our neighbor offered her a homebrew with peppers in it. :) Definitely post back how the beer tastes though. It sounds good to me and I wish I was your neighbor! Happy Halloween!

Tell them it is what it is and offer it. I mean, it's not like you'll feel bad if they say no thanks, right? There's no harm in offering and they can say no.

I pulled one of the ambers which has a Thai Chili pepper in the bottle. When I opened it there was some slight foaming, which I had expected. It smelled only slightly like fresh peppers. It tasted like liquid PAIN. All the maltynes of the original ale, with a slight burn on the tongue and a searing punch to the throat. The burn settles down quite quickly, but I could only drink about 1/4 of this. It needed something other than taco's to accompany it. I am glad that the habinaro's didn't fit into the bottles. I am hoping that the ones bottled with a Serrano are not as hot. If all else fails I will of coarse cook with them, but I don't think I will be serving them to my neighbors unless one of them is feeling very brave.

I pulled one of the ambers which has a Thai Chili pepper in the bottle. When I opened it there was some slight foaming, which I had expected. It smelled only slightly like fresh peppers. It tasted like liquid PAIN. All the maltynes of the original ale, with a slight burn on the tongue and a searing punch to the throat. The burn settles down quite quickly, but I could only drink about 1/4 of this. It needed something other than taco's to accompany it. I am glad that the habinaro's didn't fit into the bottles. I am hoping that the ones bottled with a Serrano are not as hot. If all else fails I will of coarse cook with them, but I don't think I will be serving them to my neighbors unless one of them is feeling very brave.

HA! Yea, in that case I wouldn't offer them to the neighborhood. Unless, I lived in your neighborhood, 'cause I would love to try one of those.

I personally will be offering Apfelwein, Mead, and a nice mix of the two that I have found works really well.

Edit: To the parents - of course!

Well, it's really down to the meat of Trick or Treat isn't it? I mean, for most of us on here a pepper beer would be a total treat. However, for pretty much the rest of the world you're in the trick category. :mug:

What you can do is start a tradition with the neighbors. Every Halloweenie you all get together and sample different beers or wines or weed or whatever while the kids are out getting the treats. Did this one year and it was fun.

I'd take one! It would probably make it easier to drag the kids around and deal with their sugar high. If I had kids, that is.

Of course, I plan on giving out pints and cigarettes.

"That costume sucks, you get Camels....That one's cool! You get Crown!"

Premade WildFire. We used to take the rookies to the firedepartment at one of the fire schools and get them a drink Tequilla with the glass rimmed in pepper oil. Then hand them a beer chasser.

The stout turned out amazing. I drank a whole one before trick-or-treating started, adn ended up spliting another whole oen between a few of my nieghbors. I didn't get any complaints. It's nice to know that I can turn a couple of beers from a batch into a pepper beer, without having to make a whole batch of it. I think I'm going to try throwing a clove of garlic into a couople of bottles of my next batch.

Back