Should I leave orange peel in fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I brewed up a wheat beer and i really like the citrus flavor of blue moon so i added orange peel to the boil and i was just wondering should i strain it out or leave it in the fermentor?

Just finished a belgian wit. Tried a bottle today (1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and about 3 weeks in the bottle). While I think I'll let it sit another couple of weeks/months before drinking it, it is pretty tasty.

That being said, I strained the orange peel out with the hops before racking into the primary. I can still taste the orange and corriander (though they are subtle). I think that next time I may use freash orange peel (zest) to get a slightly stronger and fresher orange flavor, but I'll still strain it out. I think it would be difficult to strain out the hops and corriander and not take the orange peel out too. I guess you could dry hop with ornage peel in the secondary to get a more intense orange flavor.

On a semi-related note, I will say that using belgian aromatic in a wit should probably be done sparingly. I put a half pound in my 5 gallon batch and it is very noticable. Very malty with a cream and vanilla flavor that almost overpowers the orange and corriander. It also added a few SRM to my beer which took it from a golden 7 to a coppery 12ish.

So for a 5gal batch of Wheat, how much of a orange peel are we talking about? half an orange, baseball sized? sounds tasty, I would like to try this this coming weekend.

Cheers, Scott.

I used an ounce of dried peel (3/4 oz at 15 min and 1/4 at 3 min). If I had it to do over again I'd double that. Next batch I'm going to try real orange peel. Probably zest 2 or 3 oranges and see what it looks like. I think it would depend some on how fresh the oranges are and how large they are. I don't have any beer experience to say for sure, but a lot of baking recipes use tablespoons of zest.

Zesting an orange (or lemon, grapefruit, etc.) is when you grate the surface peel off and leave the deep portion (pithy white stuff called the epicarp/exocarp) on the orange. It gives you that intense fruit flavor without the bitterness that the deep white part of the peel imparts. You can buy a zester at a grocery store or kitchen supply store. Lots of cheese graters also have a very fine grate which will zest well.

I've been getting a distinct citrus flavor and odor using Wyeast Belgian yeast # 1214 activator pack

Back