Should I lager outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losman26

Reaction score
I have my 5 Gal Pilsner kit lagering in my wine fridge at 46 F, but it doesn't go any lower. I'm wondering if I should perhaps move it outside to a large storage bin that we have, or I could put it into a car that doesn't move, in our drive way.
My concern with the moving it outside is the inconsistency with the temps. Some days it gets in the mid-20's, other days are in the 40's.

Here's the 10 day forcast. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Greenwich+CT+06830

I wouldn't do it outside. Too inconsistant. I lagered in a swamp cooler with a BUNCH of frozen water bottles/jugs and I was able to maintain lager temps at a constant 39F..

how many frozen bottles did you use? Also, how much of a difference will the beer be lagering at 46 F? Sometimes my fridge will go lower, if I don't open the door up. Right now the temp is reading 41 on my fridge.

It used a lot of bottles/jugs.. Look at my gallery and you'll see a photo of a better bottle buried in them, and that was my lager. I should mention I'm in the hot desert southwest and it worked great! I swapped out the bottles/jugs every 12 hours. I'm not sure what lagering at 46F would do... Mine stayed very constant at 39F. I just bottled it a week ago, and it tasted very good out of the bottling bucket...

I see your from the Northeast. You should be able to lager outside. This is the time of the year to do it. I would place your carboy in a large bucket filled with water so the temperature swings don't cause your beer to swing in temp as well. Monitor the temps of the water in the bucket at first to make sure it doesn't get too cold (below 32 degrees). 35-40 is a great range for the lagering temp. If you have a garage, that might be the place to do it.

PS - if it gets really cold for a few days you may have to have a backup plan.

I think you gave me a good idea. I can use one of those containers and place it in the fridge. I'll probably only need a couple of frozen water jugs to get the temp down to 39F.

I see your from the Northeast. You should be able to lager outside. This is the time of the year to do it. I would place your carboy in a large bucket filled with water so the temperature swings don't cause your beer to swing in temp as well. Monitor the temps of the water in the bucket at first to make sure it doesn't get too cold (below 32 degrees). 35-40 is a great range for the lagering temp. If you have a garage, that might be the place to do it.

PS - if it gets really cold for a few days you may have to have a backup plan.
Should I just get a big bucket from home depot? I have a better bottle carboy.

I'll probably throw it in a big storage container I have. How high should I fill up the water?

losman26 said:
I'll probably throw it in a big storage container I have. How high should I fill up the water?

The water level should equal the beer level so it's completely 'submerged'. Fill the container up with a good amount of water, then put your carboy in and then add more water. You'll probably need someone to help you move it, if you need to.

Back