Should I have used a blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
Never had this issue with a wheat beer but is this just a vigorous fermentation or something bad happening? It was brewed last Friday and everything was clean and sanitized. I used a liquid yeast pack not a starter. Smelled just fine.
IMG_1522.JPG

Figured, will know for the next brew. Didn’t have the issue with the ipa and same style yeast pack... live, learn, brew some more!

I use an ordinary 6.5 gallon bucket, only do 5 gallon batches and never even come close to a blow-off. I check, too. I'm down in the basement with a flashlight during the early days of fermentation and the krausen, though nice, doesn't approach the top. I do a lot of high ABVs (up to 11%).
OP used liquid but not a starter. I've used liquid for wheat beers plenty of times. I always thought the potentially large amount of liquid from a starter was the culprit.
I use dry yeast, sometimes two packs.
Anyone know what I'm missing?
Edit: 9/20/18 I'll re-post this in its own thread.

Last edited:
Never had this issue with a wheat beer but is this just a vigorous fermentation or something bad happening? It was brewed last Friday and everything was clean and sanitized. I used a liquid yeast pack not a starter. Smelled just fine. View attachment 588921
Is that more beer in the background or colored fermenters?

I have this situation every time when I'm using weizen yeast (hefeweizen, rauchweizen, weizenbock).
You should do this:
upload_2018-9-20_8-47-12.png

Put one end of hose into blow-off tube and second put into bottle of water. The yeast will go via hose to the water. There is no yeast mess and you minimize risk of infection.

I have this situation every time when I'm using weizen yeast (hefeweizen, rauchweizen, weizenbock).
You should do this:
View attachment 588991

Put one end of hose into blow-off tube and second put into bottle of water. The yeast will go via hose to the water. There is no yeast mess and you minimize risk of infection.

I usually only use a blow off tube when I pitch with a yeast starter, never seen such vigorous fermentation without one. I will probably start using one on all batches just to make sure this doesn’t happen again and risk the infection. Thanks!

You should probably use a blow-off at least for the first day or two if that's happening. I never had an issue with the couple of batches I did in buckets, but the last few in my 3 gallon Better Bottles haven't had a lot of head space. One did the thing in your picture(gunked up the airlock) but it stayed intact. The other batch with S-04 completely blew off my bung/airlock and made a bit of a mess in the FC. Live and learn

Last edited:
Back