Should I finish conditioning in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will b

Reaction score
Hey there everyone, I have a Belgian dubbel in secondary at the moment. It was in primary for a little over a week. The starting gravity was 1.07 and a racked to secondary at 1.02. It's been in secondary around 20 days. I took a reading a few weeks ago and it was at 1.06. I re-pitched to see if I could get it a little lower (probably not the best idea) now it's been at a steady 1.04. Last time I took a reading at sampled it was still really green tasting and I know it needs more time to age, but I have a little more head room in the carboy than I would like and I would also like to free it up for another batch. So the question is could I go ahead and bottle and just let the yeast finish cleaning up the beer in the bottles rather than in the carboy? Here's the recipe.

It's a 3 gallon batch with
4 lbs dry malt light extract
1/2 lb candy sugar
1 oz malto dextrin
Specialty grains of caramuncih, chocolate & biscuit malt
Fuggles hops (.75 oz bit, .5 taste & .5 aroma)
white labs trappist yeast

Your hydro readings have me confused.

Your starting was 1.070?
Secondary rack (three weeks ago)was 1.020?
Two weeks ago the gravity was back to 1.060?
Now it's at 1.040?

Are you sure you're reading the hydrometer correctly? (1.07 is not a valid hydrometer reading...it's always a 4 digit number..1.070, 1.074, 1.078, etc...). ;)

Yeah I messed up:) I racked at 1.02 and it was at 1.016 when I repitched and now it's a steady 1.014. Looks like I missed a digit:D

Let it bulk age for another month or so. You won't be sorry.

I guess that's the root of my question. Is bulk aging far superior to aging in the bottle? There is still yeast in the bottle cleaning up the beer right? Does the fact that it is also carbinating effect how it ages?
Why exactly is bulk aging better?

Back