should I even continue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdvGroo

Reaction score
Well, I was brewing my first specialty kit yesterday and apparently I made a couple of errors that I think would ruin the beer.

the kit was Hanks Hef kit from Midwest.

Anyway, as I followed the instructions it was to my understanding as the instructions directed that if you have the capacity to boil more then 1-2 gallons then do so, so I did. I started with 5 gallons, and steeped in 5 gallons.

the most important issue was that I was not to sure as to maintaining temperature for the steep. I got the water to 155 deg and then I steeped the grains. I lowered the flame, but as the steep process continued I was getting a temperature rise. I returned to find that my temp got up to 190 and I removed the flame. I allowed the steep to continue, as I though I was still ok as it did not boil, but reading now I have gone way over temp.

I finished the process and is now in the primary and very active, but I fear that over temp was just to excessive.

I am considering not continuing as the amount of work to bottle is a lot of work. I would rather take my loss now and boil a new kit. I know many say never dump, but that is why I am asking this here. Opinion on steeping I find is as long as I don't go over 170, and I have.

thanks

boo boo said:
I assume you weren't using a whole lot of speciality grain to steep, so I would say you were OK. Don't toss it, it could be the best brew you have ever made.

Agreed.
Worst case. It finishes high and full bodied. I love it that way. Wait it out and enjoy.

I'd definitely wait it out... Worst case you'll get some extra bitterness or a little astringency from tannins from the husks - it'll definitely be beer, and probably very good beer. Truth is that your steeping grains are a small part of an extract and specialty grain recipe, and certainly shouldn't ruin the beer.

Don't toss, with that small an amount of grain, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Is this an extract kit? If so, the over-temp on steeping grains shouldn't have hurt much (or anything at all).

you can boil the hell out of 8oz carapils and you'd never notice

It did have extract, 1lb LME and 1lb DME and then the 8oz of Carapils. Thanks all, I am continuing. Cheers =)

AdvGroo said:
It did have extract, 1lb LME and 1lb DME and then the 8oz of Carapils. Thanks all, I am continuing. Cheers =)

That's it for 5 gallons? Sounds weak to me. What was the OG?

In my excitement, I failed to take the reading.....

But I also miss typed, it was 6 lbs wheat LME

Kit reports the range should be SG 1.049-1.053 and FG 1.010-1.012.

AdvGroo said:
In my excitement, I failed to take the reading.....

But I also miss typed, it was 6 lbs wheat LME

Kit reports the range should be SG 1.049-1.053 and FG 1.010-1.012.

That will give an OG of about 1.019. 1.8%ABV.
I think it was a 2.5 g batch.

When I was less versed in brewing, I definitely brought my wort to a 200F and boiled specialty grains for 20mins+ in the past...the beer still turned out great.

Infact a couple of people told me it was the best porter they'd ever had...it wasn't bad, I'll say that much.

Back