Should I dump because fermentation was hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy

Reaction score
I have two all grain brews under my belt and both went well. Accept the fermentation. I HAD no way of controlling bringing the temp down. Even with adding ice everyday to a brute can the fermenter was in everyday it still sat around 72-74 (live in Houston)
I just acquired a fridge for the sole purpose of fermenting so now I feel like the cream ale I have in the primary right now should just be dumped. I'm trying to make quality here and I feel like the cream ale will just be inadequate
What would yall do? Drink or dump?

Unless you need the space or the equipment, there is no reason to dump anything - at least not before you've tried the batch. Worst case scenario - it sucks and THEN you dump it. I've had some iffy batches over time, but it takes a really bad batch for me to simply dump it. I can always find a way to use those 'iffy' beers as 'last call specials' when the taste buds weren't what they were earlier in the evening...

In all my beers (about 50?) I have only dumped one... and in all honesty I havent had the heart to dump it yet... I have been letting it age in the keg for months now... trying to see if the flavor will mellow.

I'll throw in the advice that if you think the batch is a dumper, then try pitching some Orval dregs and give it a few more weeks at 70+ . It may be a different beer afterwards, but brett funkyness can cover and or chew through many flaws.

Wyeast 1056.
Yeah. I drank my first batch and it was ok Fermented at 72-74 also. Just now I have a fermentation chamber and know I could do better now. You have a point though. I will try it first then decide

If it tastes bad initially, just let it sit for a few months and try again. If not, wait some more. I'd give it about 6 months before tossing it, personally. Time can age out some bad flavors.

Also - don't dump it! Just make some amazing beer brats! My first beer never aged well so I boiled 5 gallons with a bunch of bratwursts - they came out amazing!

I don't waste time on batches that didn't meet my expectations. If you don't like it forget it. I enjoyed looking forward to better beer. when I have made mistakes from lack of equipment or for pure experimentation I never have benefited from waiting for time to heal the beer. Mistakes happen I have learned the hard way on some batches. Temp control is everything.

My biggest thing is I don't want other people to get their hands on a beer I made that I know I can make better. I don't want it to represent me. I'll drink it though!

My biggest thing is I don't want other people to get their hands on a beer I made that I know I can make better. I don't want it to represent me. I'll drink it though!

If I did that I would not have let anyone try any of the beer I've brewed. The next batch will always be better!

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I'll let it ride and see how she turns out

Look into yeast that can handle a warmer tempature Maybe BRY 97 OR SOME OF THE SAISONS they can handle 70 plus with ease.

Back