Should I dry hop or not??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaNcOcK25

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new at homebrewing and HB talk.. Just trying to get a little help on wether I should dry hop a "hoppy ipa" on new years day? If so, when and what should I dry hop it with? The hops I used were Galena, Liberty and Golding.... Me and my brother recently dry hopped a double ipa (just bottled) What do you think? Yes or No? Thanks go

Cheers!

When would you do this though?? It's been only about 2 days now. Thanks

I dry hop all my IPA's (and doubles) Simcoe is a good hop for dry hopping. I'm not sure what the exact profile of the ones you used in the boil.
I usually dry hop when fermentation has finished or almost finished and I dry hop for a week to 10 days max. Some people go longer, up to 2 weeks.

I would try and take 2 ozs of the same hops you used as bittering hops in the boil and throw them in the secondary. So when primary fermentation is done then rack the beer to a secondary fermentor and add the 2 ozs of hops and let that sit for a week and then bottle. ENJOY YOUR BITTERNESS.

i dry hop all my IPA's. i'd say out of the hops you flavored the beer with, those goldings would be a nice choice for dry hopping. i'd go with at least two ozs with a lower alpha hop like goldings, but they're a very nice hop to dry hop with. :mug:

What are you fermenting in? Are you planning on transferring to a secondary fermenter?

You should wait until the primary fermentation s finished. Usually this will be when a gravity reading is constant 2 days in a row. If you have no way to take a hydrometer reading, keep it in primary for at least two weeks.

At that point you can either transfer it to a secondary vessel and add dry hops or add the dry hops to the primary vessel.

I would suggest a blend of the Liberty and Goldings. An ounce each would be very nice. Let them sit for 5-7 days then transfer to another vessel with some finings to drop bright or bottle.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm fermenting in a 5 gallon bucket, then will transfer into a car boy........ My local beer supply store recommended "plugs" for dry hopping! Any suggestions? I was thinking of using Goldings for dry hopping also.

Back