Should I dry-hop my Ordinary Bitters tonight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm moving my Ordinary Bitters into the secondary tonight and to smell...it just doesn't have the hoppiness I'd like in my bitter.

I need a yeah or neah on a notion to dry-hop about 1/2 Oz of Saaz pellets into the secondary. I dont' know if Saaz is comparable with what I have.

Here is my starting recipe:

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM)
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
1.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.75%]
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [2.50%]
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (20 min)
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (1 min)
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

An earlier brew I did was an English Ale with Northern Brewer and it was very hoppy. I loved it. I'm looking for a flavorful session brew.

This OG was 1036 and is at 1010 now. Right where I want it.

Thoughts please?

Since you are kegging, you can always dry hop later after it has conditioned. Saaz would work with what you have. If you want some hop aroma in your Bitter, I say do it. Sometimes I dry hop (or re-hop) when the keg is half gone, just for a change.

t1master said:
i say nay... bitters are not supposed to have hop aroma imho...

I don't think I agree with that: seems to me that bitters often lack flavor hop additions but usually do have aroma hop additions (?)

I don't think I agree with that: seems to me that bitters often lack flavor hop additions but usually do have aroma hop additions (?)

true, i have seen recipies with and without dry hop. i don't make aroma additions during the boil, and don't dry hop, but some do both.

lol

the averidge bitter is a session beer. fairly low in malt flavor, with a single kettle addition of hops. that's my understanding. a true bitter will be cask conditioned, and some might put dry hops in the cask, but it's no necessary.

kinda designed for quick turn over, liek a fresh wheat beer. :mug:

Go for it!
EK Gold, Fuggle or any English hop would prob be more suitable, but who cares?
Your only talking 1/2 oz anyhows.
Just do it.

Ivan Lendl said:
Go for it!
EK Gold, Fuggle or any English hop would prob be more suitable, but who cares?
Your only talking 1/2 oz anyhows.
Just do it.

DONE

I couldn't resist. While I was racking, I popped open the sanyo (pre tower) and as I was topping off my APA, (look at this beer) I couldn't resist grabbing the bag of hops and taking a whiff.

Ahhhhh. I had to do it. I went ahead and dumped in a 1/2 oz of the Saaz.

Let's face it...too much hops can never be a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back