Should I double or triple pitch a 1.085 OG batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to be honest, dry hopping in primary or secondary, will contribute the same amount of "cloudiness". if bottling, best option is to cold crash it to get everything out of suspension. If kegging, you can use fining gelatin.

when i was bottling, i always dry-hopped in primary (still do even when kegging)...the hops all fall out to the bottom, just be careful racking off the bottom of the carboy. I've heard of some people putting a hopsock with a SS washer in the bottom of it, clamped around their siphon tube. I imagine that would help prevent trub/hop matter from getting into your bottling bucket.

to be honest, dry hopping in primary or secondary, will contribute the same amount of "cloudiness". if bottling, best option is to cold crash it to get everything out of suspension. If kegging, you can use fining gelatin.

when i was bottling, i always dry-hopped in primary (still do even when kegging)...the hops all fall out to the bottom, just be careful racking off the bottom of the carboy. I've heard of some people putting a hopsock with a SS washer in the bottom of it, clamped around their siphon tube. I imagine that would help prevent trub/hop matter from getting into your bottling bucket.

I wish I could cold crash, but I don't have an extra refrigerator to do that in. I've heard that letting the beer sit in the primary is pretty common these days although a lot of people who dry hop transfer to secondary. I'm just gonna throw the hops in the primary and not rack to secondary and see how well it clears up. I personally don't care if the beer isn't crystal clear even if Pliny is supposed to be. But I wouldn't want it to be NE ipa style cloudy either.

I wish I could cold crash, but I don't have an extra refrigerator to do that in. I've heard that letting the beer sit in the primary is pretty common these days although a lot of people who dry hop transfer to secondary. I'm just gonna throw the hops in the primary and not rack to secondary and see how well it clears up. I personally don't care if the beer isn't crystal clear even if Pliny is supposed to be. But I wouldn't want it to be NE ipa style cloudy either.

if it sits long enough it will clear up a fair amount, but not crystal clear unfortunately. I didnt have cold crashing capabilities for the first few years and still had some decently clear dry hopped beers. Remember that they'll "cold crash" in the bottle after being in the fridge as well...you'll just have more sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

the only benefit i would see in transferring to secondary just for dry hopping, would be if you intend to rack a new brew onto the existing yeast cake...you might not want all that extra hop matter from the dry hopping...otherwise, keep the secondary for bulk aging or fruit additions!

cheers,

Back