Should I Cold Crash a Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoors76

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was thinking about Cold Crashing my blonde ale that has been in the fermenter for a little over 2 weeks. If so what temp and for how long.

Thanks

But what should the fridge temp be I have heard that around 32-35 degrees

Well, if your fridge is at 32-35 degrees, that's fine. Mine is more like 39 or 40 degrees, I think. I keep other stuff in my fridge, so I don't change the temperature.

The temperature isn't really imperative- it's the quick dropping of the temperature from where it's at (say 65 now) to fridge temps. That's why it's "cold crashing"- dropping the temp 30 degrees or more quickly will cause yeast and other haze causing particles to drop out.

so really nooob question about this... assume you just place the bucket or carboy in the fridge? Once you cold-crash, do you rack off to a secondary, or bottle, and if so, do you bring the temp back up before doing so?

Thanks!

You don't have to bring it back up to temp, but some would say that it's better for the yeast. I think that at this point you aren't going to need to worry about off flavors. As soon as the bottles warm up they will be ready to finish off that little bit of sugar.

Back