Should I brew it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
Hey guys,

before i moved i bought a beer kit w/ crushed grains. yesterday while at the LHBS i got a IPA (which i brewed today) and some barvarian wyeast. I saved about 3/4 oz of hops from the ipa and i'm going to brew this tomorrow. Should i worry about the grains being stale of f-it and use them?

i'm going for the f-it and use them. Also trying out my new fermintator (old freezer w/ a temp controler) w/ both batches to keep everything around 62 degree's.

nick

Seeing how you never stated 'when' you moved, I'll assume it was a long time ago, in which case, go ahead and brew it. It's a "free" batch isn't it?

:drunk:

Sea said:
Yes, but unless you want the esters, keep your ales more like 65-68. Check your yeast strain for allowable range.

Thanks, Sea. I was headed over to adjust those figures. looks like I'll have to brew an IPA pretty soon. Haven't done one of those yet..

I ferment any "clean" ale around 65..my RPA, PA, Oatmeal Stout...

My latest was a Belgian Wit...started it at 65 for the first day, then ramped up to 74 by day 3/4ish. That way, I subdue the inital esters I personally don't care for, but drive the spice characteristics that I do like.

Well i just finished pitching the yeast. 1.042 OG and the wort tasted sweet. so we'll see what happens in 2 weeks when i bottle her!

Back