should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a AHS Weizenbock extract kit about a month ago. I'm pretty sure it was the last Friday of September. I have left it in primary all this time to make sure it would ferment completely; being it's a higher gravity Ale in comparison to the ones I usually brew. On the instructions for the kit it says that the final gravity should be approximately 1.015. About a week and 1/2 ago I checked the gravity and it was 1.020, and today it is 1.018. It seems it is at a standstill and I was wondering if I should go ahead and bottle it since it was my plan to do so today; however, I want to do this right. Does 1.018 sound good for this type of Ale? or to off?

The ingredients for this Weizenbock were:
Specialty Grains: 1 lb. Caramunich, 1/4 lb. Caramel Wheat, 1/4 lb. Chocolate Malt, and 1/2 German Pilsner.
Malt Extract: 6 lbs. Wheat, and 3 lbs. Munich Extract.
Hops: 1 oz. Perle (bittering)
Yeast: Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068 - I had used this same yeast on 3 previous batches.

Fermentation Temp: it's been pretty constant between 68 - 70 F.

What was the OG? 3068 has a 73-77% attenuation. I might be prone to give it another few days and take another reading. Although a drop from 1.020 to 1.018 might seem insignificant, when in bottles such a drop could create a messy situation.

What was the OG? 3068 has a 73-77% attenuation. I might be prone to give it another few days and take another reading. Although a drop from 1.020 to 1.018 might seem insignificant, when in bottles such a drop could create a messy situation.

I wasn't able to get an accurate OG. When I got a sample it was reading like 1.095 or something like that, and I guess it was because the wort wasn't properly mixed with the cooled water I added, and I didn't want to risk infection so I left it at that. OG should have been around 1.070 according to the AHS instructions. I'm not sure a couple of days will make all that difference. That's all I have done, is give it a lot of time for it to finish up and it looks like it has been a couple of weeks of being in a stand still. I cooled down the wort a bit to check the FG more accurately. I ended up with 1.020.

EDIT: Should I rouse the yeast and leave one more week before bottling?

It'll only get better if you wait longer to bottle, even if the gravity reading stays the same. SO give it a eek, check the FG again, and maybe bottle then. It'll clear up in the next week at the very least.

AHS lists the weizenbock OG @ 1.065

that means you have a over 70% attenuation, assuming you have the correct volume and used all the ingredients.

you could give it a swirl to rouse the yeast if you'd like, then give it another week. if it's the same then, i'd say go ahead and bottle.

Hmm, you have about 73% attenuation, which is the bottom of the range for 3068. Did you wash the yeast 3 times, or did you use three separate packages? I ask because three subsequent generations from the same pack may cause a loss of vigor.

Also, did you get a lot of blow out on this one? Wyeast describes 3068 as a true top-cropper, requiring about 30+ % headspace. A good portion of the active yeast could have blown off.

Also, this may sound stupid, but did you adjust your hydrometer readings for temperature?

Latest posts

Back