Should I bottle ths beer today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Quick question...

I brewed a scotch ale on 15-DEC-2012 with an original gravity of 1.063. I was going to bottle it today, but the final gravity is 1.020. The last time I brewed this recipe, my gravities were 1.068 and 1.010 respectively. The only differences between the batches:
1. this second time around I was lazy and didn't bother to make a starter with my vial of Whitelabs WLP002 (I know: underpitching can negatively affect attenuation)
2. the first time I mashed at 157°F, whereas the second time I mashed at 150°F (I know: theoretically this batch should be more fermentable than the last, and yet the FG is higher)

The recipe:
Mild 82%
Munich 10%
Brown 5%
Chocolate 1%
Special B 2%

Should I go ahead and bottle today or is it too likely that they'd explode on me?

If I don't bottle today, is there anything I can do at this point? (I can't keg.)

You underpitched by half. You needed 230 billion cells to ferment that baby and you only gave it 100 billion. I would pitch another vial and get it down to where it should be.

Back