Should I be worried....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narmstrong

Reaction score
I am heading into my fourth batch. All great so far. Tonights batch will be a raspberry wheat (picked out by my super-supportive wife who very much enjoys our new hobby).

My question revolves around the raspberry extract. It calls for four ounces prior to bottling. I have heard some negative things about fruit extract, including too sweet and general off putting tastes. It is an extract kit, I don't want a fruit flavor to take over the beer.
Any advice? Someone suggested I split the batch prior to bottling and do half with a less potent mixture. Seems reasonable I guess.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

No. You should not be worried.

Most batches come with 4 oz. of fruit flavoring. Add one ounce at a time in your bottling bucket, taste, repeat until you're happy.

:mug:

I am heading into my fourth batch. All great so far. Tonights batch will be a raspberry wheat (picked out by my super-supportive wife who very much enjoys our new hobby).

My question revolves around the raspberry extract. It calls for four ounces prior to bottling. I have heard some negative things about fruit extract, including too sweet and general off putting tastes. It is an extract kit, I don't want a fruit flavor to take over the beer.
Any advice? Someone suggested I split the batch prior to bottling and do half with a less potent mixture. Seems reasonable I guess.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Usually the flavorings come in 4oz bottles - suggested use is 2oz. I accidentally used a whole bottle in an Abita Purple Haze clone and it was almost overpowering. I'd stick with the 2oz as suggested. Hope that helps!

At bottling time draw off a measured quantity of beer in 3 equal parts. To this add a little less, a little more and the recommended quantity to these and try them.

4oz in 5 gallons (640 oz) of beer would give you a 1 in 160 ratio. So, 1ml (.2 teaspoon) of extract to 160ml of beer (5.4 oz) and then add more and less to your taste.
I think my math is correct.

Back