Should I be worried about this dark spot on spigot seal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlfarrell

Reaction score
Note the dark spot on the rubber stopper and also the white spot inside fermenter above it. White spot is same color as the trub layer. I’m just over a week into fermentation.

I should add that I tasted about an ounce of the beer just two days ago and it tasted pretty good, it was a little bit sour but I attributed that to yeast that was still in suspension since it’s so early.

Attachments

• 2153F4C7-86BD-4401-BFFD-FAC03831EB49.jpeg
    2153F4C7-86BD-4401-BFFD-FAC03831EB49.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
I don't get a sour taste from yeast.

Other posts on this forum say thats a common flavor of still-fermenting beer. It was 6 days in when I tried it.

I’m less worried about the “green” taste and more just wondering about that spot in the image. I fully sanitized the fermenter with iostar and ran quite a bit of san through the spigot itself and also sprayed the spigot whenever I took the sample, so I’m hoping that has been enough. I prob should have taken the spigot apart and cleaned those seals before I used it again, so that’s my only remaining concern.

Back