Should I be worried about a blowout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunklesWeissbier

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch last night and have it in the fermenter. It is a Bavarian Wheat kit from Midwest.

I've been reading that Wheat beers tend to blowout of the fermenter sometimes and this has me worried. I have it in my living room closet because it is just too cold to put it in the basement. I'm worried about the carpet if it blows up in there.

I have to go out of town for a few days and will not be able to check it every day. I took precautions to rig up a blowoff tube instead of the air lock, and just went a bought a tub for the fermenter and blowoff bucket to sit in. I just used the siphon tube that came with my kit and ran it fromt the fermenting bucket to the bottling bucket with some sanitizer and water in the bottom.

Do you think this will be ok? Anything else I can do?

Fermenting.jpg

Good new is it is bubbling away making me some beer! Had to put a glass in the blowoff bucket to hold the tube down. :rockin:

It's in the hands of the beer gods now. Just make sure you have some starsan or something in you blow off bucket.

Came home this morning to find everything ok :ban:

Looks like most of the fermentation is done. When I took the blowoff tube out to install the airlock I took a sniff and it REALLY smells good. :mug:

I had this exact dilema about a year ago....I did not come home to a clean closet. I had trub and yeast all over the walls, ceiling, floor and several of our coats...lol. Glad it worked out for you.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

Back