Should I add cacao nibs and coffee to this oatmeal stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDouglas82

Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good/bad idea to add 4oz of coffee (at flameout) and 4 oz cacao nibs (add a week before bottling to primary after fermentation is finished) to the below oatmeal stout recipe from Jasper's.
I'm kind of new to all grain brewing and didn't know if these additions would screw up the recipe too much. I love beers with oatmeal, coffee and chocolate flavors. Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.boomchugalug.com/downloadables/recipes/mush_all_grain.pdf

Not sure about the coffee addition, but I added toasted cacao nibs to a milk stout and it turned out excellent. I toasted raw cacao nibs in the toaster oven for about 10 minutes @ 300 degrees until they smelled like brownies and then dropped them in the primary for about a week. It was less than a gallon batch and I used about 1 oz of cacao nibs.

Last edited:
I'd switch it around and add cocoa powder before flameout and cold pressed coffee before bottling. I've used nibs (though never toasted) & cocoa powder & I think I got more chocolate from the cocoa powder during the last ten minutes of the boil. Definitely cold pressed coffee though, it'll be less acidic and be better for your head retention.

I did all this a couple of months ago to a Mocha Porter that I brought to a St. Pat's party....it was gone within hours (I should've kept some at home to enjoy) and was a big hit.

Latest posts

Back