shortest weldless fitting (sticks into keggle least)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
Okay, my weldless fittings use a stainless coupler on the inside to receive a nipple from the outside (connected to the spigot).

The coupler is pretty long. I'd like to put on a few more spigots, but will want to have some elbowed copper pipes on the inside to make a whirlpool setup (permanent one).

I'd put these about halfway up the keggle, at the same height, spaced enough that their valve handles don't interfere with each other (or bend the one handle up). Looking into the keggle from the top, on the inside I'd like them to turn away from each other, using a short copper tube, copper elbow, and copper tube. One serves as outflow to the pump, one as return from pump, for making a whirlpool. To keep things neat, I wanted to have the shortest intrusion towards the center of the keg.

Anyone know maybe of a fitting that can jsut replace the coupler and have a compression fitting for the copper tubing on it?

I have valves with a 3/8" threaded compression. I don't use a coupling. I drilled a hole large enough for the threaded portion to go through the keg and use a compression nut on the inside to hold the copper tubing, on the outside of the keg is a rubber washer.
mark
Beer Diary...

Do you have a part number or a picture of it?

I'm sorry, I mis-led you. The valve has a 1/2" thread and it threads onto a 3/8 comp x 1/2 npt. adapter. So the adapter only has the threaded 3/8" portion going through the kettle. Both parts are standard at the hardware store. I can't give you a pic at this time as I am out of town.
mark
Beer Diary...

so you have the valve with a male thread on the kettle side? Or is it a nipple? Maybe a nipple welded in?

I'll go look at Lowe's this weekend and see what I can find. if I can get 1/2" npt female with 1/2" compression I should be set and just use it in place of the coupler.

The cheapest way would be to use a copper male adapter with 1/2" NPT. Insert it NPT end first into a hole in the keg from the inside, use appropriate spacer washers to get the seals tight when you thread your valve on or use a locknut. You'd had to sweat your copper tubes in, but it's workable.

hrm, that might work, too, with a silicon washer behind the spacer washer. I wonder if the copper would be too soft for getting it really tight.

The adapter can be 1/2" male or female screwed onto the valve. a washer is pushed over the 3/8" compression threads then the 3/8" threads pushed thru the keg. Then on the inside of the keg attach the 3/8 compression nut. This nut pulls the adapter tight against the washer. If you attach a pick up tube, slide nut onto tube then slide on the ferrel on the tube, then screw nut to adapter. This will sinch up the tube and tighten the valve/adapter/washer to the outside of keg.
mark
Beer Diary...

For those reading this with a stainless adiction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swagelok-SS-810...10038828474QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Lab_Supplies

556b_2.JPG

Stainless female to tube elbow. Great seller who is super easy to work with a shipping is combined and cheap. He has a bunch of other fittings in his store too.

I would suggest putting the washer on the inside of the keg, a silicon washer and a luck nut on the outside of the keg.

like this:

instructions.jpg

except without the o-ring inside the kettle. The extra o-ring doesn't do anything except make the connection more wobbly IMO.

(Obviously your arrangement will be different because you have different components, but the concept is the same.)

pic taken from Bargain Fittings

I would suggest putting the washer on the inside of the keg, a silicon washer and a luck nut on the outside of the keg.

like this:

instructions.jpg

except without the o-ring inside the kettle. The extra o-ring doesn't do anything except make the connection more wobbly IMO.

(Obviously your arrangement will be different because you have different components, but the concept is the same.)

pic taken from Bargain Fittings

This is exactly what I need! Have you ordered from this place? They seem like decent prices and no hassle or going to the store with the parts list.

Ok so these swagelock fittings are for 1/2" tube, is that ID or OD?
I have a male welded fitting on my kettles, and need 1/2" female thread to 1/2" copper (5/8" OD). What do I need?
Thanks

Ok so these swagelock fittings are for 1/2" tube, is that ID or OD?
I have a male welded fitting on my kettles, and need 1/2" female thread to 1/2" copper (5/8" OD). What do I need?
Thanks

The Swagelok fittings are sized for TUBING, which is sized by OD. If you have 5/8 OD tubing, you need a 1/2 NPT to 5/8 tube fitting.

SS-1010-2-8
elbow male to tube

SS-1010-8-8 elbow female to tube

SS-1010-1-8 Straight male to tube

SS-1010-7-8 Straight female to tube

Unfortunately, I don't see any with an easy Ebay search... One thing you can do is search "swagelok" on Ebay and sift through the many listings. It doesn't take long, and many people do not list the actual part number... good luck

I have a few Swagelok S/S fittings that I use they are 1/2 OD compression but if you look at the NPT side there is only a 3/8ths or smaller hole. Whats up with that?

ok thanks for the tips.
For the original poster, some brewers take a 1/2" female coupler and cut them in half, giving you two shorties, or you could just weld a full coupler more to the outside.

Back