Shortest Fermenter - Bucket/Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aking

Reaction score
I am in the search for a bucket or carboy fermenter that is 15" in height or less.

I ferment in a chest freezer that has a step for the compressor, and I want to fit another fermenter in that space. The distance from the bottom of the step to the lid of the freezer is 18". Since a standard 3-piece airlock on a stopper is 3" I am looking for something 15" or less.

So far, the shortest bucket I have found is 15.5", and that is the Midwest Shorty bucket. My last option is the 50lb Vitals Vault, that is 14" tall. However, I would prefer to stick with a carboy or bucket.

Anyone know of any buckets or carboys 15" or less in height? :mug:

I'd probably go with the 15.5" bucket and see if I could cut down a three piece. Won't be pretty but might work.

You could also see if you can just shove the right size tube in the airlock port and only use a blow off tube on that fermenter.

You could also probably enlarge the airlock port big enough to take a stopper and use one of those waterless silicon flap type airlocks.

Just a few ideas for you

Why don't you use a blow off tube in place of the 3-piece airlock, and save a couple inches in height. This way, you should be fine with the short bucket you are considering. Use tubing the same diameter as the airlock stem.

You could also drill a hole in the very top of the side of the bucket. use a blow off tube out the side, and a normal bucket lid, save yourself all 3 inches that way.

Back