Shortesr turnaroud for a "good" beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiosyncronaut

Reaction score
Hey guys, been brewing about a moth now. I just realized I should probably have something to open for the 4th of July. Is it realistic to turn around a beer that quick and have it actually taste pretty good?

I've got some beer that should be ready to pop open around the 4th, so I'm not desperate. But I was really hoping to do some kind of Cascade APA, and get real American with it :)

Should i attempt to do a quick batch for the 4th, or will it not be worth it? If its not worth it, I'll just open my APWA or my other citra APA to celebrate and pretend it was my plan all along...

If you keg and force carb you can have a quite a few beers ready in 2.5 weeks or so. If you bottle it's tougher. I would think an American Wheat would be the fastest all american beer. If you brew it now and bottle it in 10 days or so it would be possible to have it ready for the 4th.

I think that you have time. Its rushed but you can if you brew within a couple days. im assuming your kegging as well

A couple of keys to a quick beer- non-complex malt bills, lower OG (under 1.045), use a big starter (the proper amount per mrmalty), keep fermentation temperature under control and raise it a bit at day 5 so it fully attenates, and use a well attenuating highly flocculant yeast.

Some beers are great young- some cream ales, hefeweizens (which don't have to clear anyway), American wheat, Mild, and pale ales that are simple without a lot of ingredients.

If you keg and force carb you can have a quite a few beers ready in 2.5 weeks or so. If you bottle it's tougher. I would think an American Wheat would be the fastest all american beer. If you brew it now and bottle it in 10 days or so it would be possible to have it ready for the 4th.

Hmmm..... So you're telling me that it's time to buy a kegging system... I guess if you say so :). I might use this as an excuse to up my equipment, I've been eyeing a 5gal keg anyway.

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll check out what you have suggested

If you get a keg system, how are you going to drink the beer cold? I was considering this but all things considered it's too much of a leap. Not to mention CO2 tank and regulator costs a lot more than a new keg. And if you are going to go through the headache of bottling force carbed beer... just, wow...

IMO I think it's best to take a fraction of that money, buy some nice craft brew to sip on while just waiting as long as it takes for beers to carb up in bottles. It's a zen thing right? It's working out great for me. Well, I keep cracking bottles to check on the progress, but not a flat drop is wasted.

Having said that, I bottled a Mild after 10 days. (Still waiting for carb)... :p

If you get a keg system, how are you going to drink the beer cold? I was considering this but all things considered it's too much of a leap. Not to mention CO2 tank and regulator costs a lot more than a new keg. And if you are going to go through the headache of bottling force carbed beer... just, wow...

IMO I think it's best to take a fraction of that money, buy some nice craft brew to sip on while just waiting as long as it takes for beers to carb up in bottles. It's a zen thing right? It's working out great for me. Well, I keep cracking bottles to check on the progress, but not a flat drop is wasted.

Having said that, I bottled a Mild after 10 days. (Still waiting for carb)... :p

by jove, have you no faith!? NOTHING is impossible in the world of homebrew!

-brew an quick turn around beer. (may i suggest an AMERICAN wheat for 4th of July)

-get a kegging system now...you'll thank me later.

-brew beer

-ferment a week or two

-carb in a keg for a week

-transfer carbonated beer from keg to bottles

BOOM! happy fourth of july mo' effas!

I just made Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde 3 weeks ago this Sunday. I kegged it after about 12 days and it is currently tasting awesome. Not sure it can get much better. Nice and simple beer with a very quick turn around.

1 hour. 30 minute round trip to craft beer store, 30 minutes to figure out what I want. :D
I just bottled my first batch yesterday after 3 weeks in primary so I dont even have a homebrew to drink while I impatiently wait. ;)

I just made Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde 3 weeks ago this Sunday. I kegged it after about 12 days and it is currently tasting awesome. Not sure it can get much better. Nice and simple beer with a very quick turn around.

^ I did the same. 10 day fermentation with 2 days to cold crash then kegged. Pretty fast turn around and great beer for the 4th.

hahaha... Yeah I'm with you. It's just a whole lot to invest in right away.

Keg, $50
Paintball tank and adapter, $35 -OR- 5lb. Co2 tank, $60
Regulator, $35
Lines and fittings and tap, $20

You do need a fridge with shelves removed or at the very least a tub or bucket of sorts with ice constantly stocked in the bottom (serving off the bottom).

So yeah, probably cost about $150 to get started kegging but also no more waiting 3 weeks for bottles to carb, less effort after fermentation and no more managing bottles (cleaning, sanitizing, saving, storing).

I can have a beer carbed in about 36 hours if need be, and I don't use an air stone. I did have to modify my fridge to hold 3 kegs, but it was a $40 craigslist fridge anyway.

Back