Short boil orange ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
I 'm putting together a recipe to try this with;

I'm copying this from here.. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/experiment-idea-no-boil-ag-beer-202785/ post 38
( not trying to hijack, just looking for thoughts)

12.5 gal preboil
11 gal batch

18# 2 row
2# vienna
1# c 40
1# c 20
1# carapils

2.5 oz Warrior 17.2AA 15 min pellet
1 oz Centennial 9.9 AA 10 min pellet
1 oz Corriander cracked 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5.75AA 1 min leaf
8 sweet oranges added to primary(peeled, chopped, brought up to 160 for 5 min and cooled to pitching temp 63degrees)
1 oz Cascade 5.75AA dry hop

90 min mash @ 152
90 min fly sparge w 180 degree water.

Target OG 1.061
Target FG 1.015
ABV 6.19%
IBU 41

15 min total boil time.
Thoughts?

What are you trying to accomplish with the short boil? It doesn't seem like you are trying to save time (with all the extra time built into your mash/sparge).

What sort of beer are you trying to end up with? Is this a 10 gallon batch or a 5? It seems like you have too much malt for 5, but not enough hops to get 41 IBUs in 10.

I've gotten a good orange aroma just from the zest, I would worry that heating the oranges up would giv ethem a "cooked" flavor. I'd also back down on the coriander; .5 oz is enough for me (although people seem to have very different sensitivities).

The blend of American hops and citrus fruit sounds like a good area of investigation. Good luck.

The post I moved this from was trying to save energy by doing a no boil.
The batch is for 11 gallons and I entered the hops into an IBU calculator to arrive at my target IBU's
I've added oranges in this fashion before in a recipe from Extreme Brewing (blood red hef).
1 oz of corriander shouldn't be too much for an 11 gal batch.

Bull

I might lose the vienna malt if you are going to do a shortened boil. Anytime I use pilsner, munich, or vienna malts, I bump the boil time to 90 minutes to make sure there are no DMS precursors in the finished wort. You can do a search for DMS (dimethyl-sulfide I think), but the off flavor is a "creamed corn" flavor.

The post I moved this from was trying to save energy by doing a no boil.
The batch is for 11 gallons and I entered the hops into an IBU calculator to arrive at my target IBU's
I've added oranges in this fashion before in a recipe from Extreme Brewing (blood red hef).
1 oz of corriander shouldn't be too much for an 11 gal batch.

Bull

Agreed on the coriander, but I would double check your hop numbers to make sure you had the batch size and boil time right, I just put them through an online calculator and got 15 IBUs.

I do no boils for my Berliner Weisses, so it certainly can work. Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

I might lose the vienna malt if you are going to do a shortened boil. Anytime I use pilsner, munich, or vienna malts, I bump the boil time to 90 minutes to make sure there are no DMS precursors in the finished wort. You can do a search for DMS (dimethyl-sulfide I think), but the off flavor is a "creamed corn" flavor.

Pils is the one that you really have to worry about, Vienna and Munich are kilned hotter/longer than pale malt so there are no worries there.

Oldsock,
Glad you caught the IBU's being off, I must have forgot to change the presets.
I'll modify the hops to bring it up.
2.5 oz Warrior 17.2 @15
1 oz Centennial 9.9 @10
1 oz Cascade 5.75AA 1 min leaf
1 oz Cascade 5.75AA dry hop

That should get me to 41.5 IBU's

I don't think I'll have anything to worry about with the Vienna and DMS.

Bull

Back