Shop accidentally gave me two yeast vials, pitch both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoegaze99

Reaction score
The lowdown: Doing a Hoegaarden clone. Bought the kit today and plan to brew tonight. Don't plan a starter. (I know, I know.)

I noticed the shop accidentally gave me TWO vials of White labs WLP400 instead of one. I know it was an error because the second vial was in the box for the second kit I bought, a porter, which had its appropriate yeast in there.

So should I just pitch both vials? Seems like since I'm going no starter it can't do any harm, but figured I'd ask just in case.

In theory I could save one for a few weeks, but I won't be brewing again for at least three weeks. Dunno if it's worth saving a vial and doing a batch that can use the same yeast, thus saving myself a few bucks next time.

So, pitch both or save one? Thanks in advance.

If OG is under 1.055 (or so), pitch one vial. If your OG is above then pitch both vials.

mrmalty.com : use the use the yeast pitching rate calculator. You input your volume and expected OG and it will tell you the number of cells needed to healthily ferment your batch. It also tells you the number of vials need with no starter.

Quote from White Labs:

White Labs Pitchable Yeast

Each vial of White Labs liquid yeast is designed to be used directly in 5 gallons, hence the term "pitchable yeast." Each vial is equivalent in cell count to a pint starter, or 75-150 billion cells. One vial will usually start fermentation in 5 gallons in 5-15 hours at 70°F. If a faster start is desired, or if initial gravity is over 1.070, we recommend a 1-2 pint starter be made.

The lowdown:
I noticed the shop accidentally gave me TWO vials of White labs WLP400 instead of one. I know it was an error because the second vial was in the box for the second kit I bought, a porter, which had its appropriate yeast in there.

........../.............

So, pitch both or save one? Thanks in advance.

I think you should return the vial that's not yours to use. What would you do if they'd given you one LESS vial than you'd paid for?

Thanks, guys, that's helpful. Looks like I may go ahead and fly with one. Use by on both is June 24. I'll for sure be brewing again before then, so I'll have it on hand for the next batch and save a few bucks.

Inodoro_Pereyra: Thanks for your input, but no.

I've been going there a long time. I've waived money differences in their favor as recently as last week, they've tossed in stuff on the house before, etc. It goes back and forth. I'll likely tell them they gave me extra. They don't worry about it, and neither do I.

Thanks for your advice.

It is a wit, so you don't want to over pitch, underpitching will make the yeast strain a little and produce better clove flavors. Save the vial and make another!

Back