Shock Top + Blue Moon= ????? Extract Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
I'm looking for a light, very summery (I live in NC, we have a LOT of summer), and full of flavor brew with some what of a sweet, not tart, orange flavor. I don't want to go Hefe, because I want it lighter and more orange>Coriander (if any spices have to be used at all).

Any website? Midwest? Rebel? Austin? Northern? Williams? have a kit like this?

I think you need to be clearer on what you are looking for. Shock Top and Blue Moon are both vaguely in the style of wits, but fermented with a clean "American" ale yeast. A hefeweizen yeast will give you clove and banana flavors, which is fine if that is what you want. I'd skip the dried orange peel that most kits come with, and zest a few oranges yourself to add near the end of the boil. Shouldn't need more than 5 lbs wheat DME (6 lbs LME), 1 oz of low AA% hops for bittering, the ale yeast of your choice, and the spices.

Happy to help you dial in a recipe for what you are looking for (I know nothing about kits sadly).

I think you need to be clearer on what you are looking for. Shock Top and Blue Moon are both vaguely in the style of wits, but fermented with a clean "American" ale yeast. A hefeweizen yeast will give you clove and banana flavors, which is fine if that is what you want. I'd skip the dried orange peel that most kits come with, and zest a few oranges yourself to add near the end of the boil. Shouldn't need more than 5 lbs wheat DME (6 lbs LME), 1 oz of low AA% hops for bittering, the ale yeast of your choice, and the spices.

Happy to help you dial in a recipe for what you are looking for (I know nothing about kits sadly).

Ok,
well, I basically just want like an Orange Beer. but I don't want a bitter or tart orange beer, I want a sweet orange beer. Very drinkable and reminds everyone of summer.

I'm going to be doing 2 batches in a row, and I want these to experiment with fruits a little (just to broaden my horizons) My neighbor has a baby on the way, so I'm doing a Raspberry Blonde (cause it's a girl) and I want to brew this "orange beer" as well.

I'm still new to brewing, so I don't know or understand much about ingredients makign what. that is why I always ask for help.

For a sweet orange flavored beer I'd do something like:

Steep 1 lb of cara/crystal 10 or 20 (this will add some sweetness)
5 lbs Wheat DME (or 6 lbs Wheat LME)
60 min boil
Add 1 oz of 4% AA hops (any variety with an AA% around there will be fine) at the start of the boil
Add the zest of 3 oranges at the very end of the boil. (I didn't have good luck with orange juice the one time I used it in a mead, it just tasted like old orange juice after awhile then it faded.)

Chill to 65, pitch a clean American ale yeast like 001/1056, and try to hold the fermentation under 70. I really like US-05 (dried American Ale yeast) in general, but I think it will knock down the sweetness more than you want.

OG should be around 1.048, FG around 1.012. 14 IBUs.

Hope that helps.

For a sweet orange flavored beer I'd do something like:

Steep 1 lb of cara/crystal 10 or 20 (this will add some sweetness)
5 lbs Wheat DME (or 6 lbs Wheat LME)
60 min boil
Add 1 oz of 4% AA hops (any variety with an AA% around there will be fine) at the start of the boil
Add the zest of 3 oranges at the very end of the boil. (I didn't have good luck with orange juice the one time I used it in a mead, it just tasted like old orange juice after awhile then it faded.)

Chill to 65, pitch a clean American ale yeast like 001/1056, and try to hold the fermentation under 70. I really like US-05 (dried American Ale yeast) in general, but I think it will knock down the sweetness more than you want.

OG should be around 1.048, FG around 1.012. 14 IBUs.

Hope that helps.

Ordering Recipe above^ Thanks!
Question though: 4.7% AA Willamette hops ok for the 60-min boil?

Ordering Recipe above^ Thanks!
Question though: 4.7% AA Willamette hops ok for the 60-min boil?

No problem. Hope it turns out well, post your results when the beer is ready.

Back