Shirron vs. Therminator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefyTim

SudsChef
Reaction score
OK, so I'm tired of the immersion chiller and the time it takes to chill my brews. While I am only doing 5 gallon batches I still would like to reduce the cool time and will likely be doing 10 gallon batches in the future.

So, I am wondering if it is really worth $100 more for the Terminator over the Shirron. I know the Therminator will chill the wort faster but I'm wondering just how much faster and if its really worth it.

Saving 5-10 minutes for a $100 extra bucks doesn't really seem worth it to me. However, I'm wondering if the reduced time is really the only benefit.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Tim

Honestly, and I know that this doesn't really address your question, but have you looked at an all-copper CFC like the Chillus Convolutus from B3? The reason I ask is that mine is very efficient but no where as prone to blockage and cleaning issues like a plate-type chiller.
I haven't used a Shirron or Therminator, so I am unable to give you a valid comparison. But from what I have read, the Shirron is definitely adequate.

The Shirron is more than sufficient. I used one for about a year. Then I upgraded to a chill wizard station with a therminator. I'll never look back. It spoils me.

A blocked plate chiller isn't the end of the world. A 2 hour bake at 400 will turn most anything in there to dust. A practice one should perform annually regardless unless you are using some serious cleaning chemicals.

Latest posts

Back