Shirron Chiller Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Who uses a Shirron Chiller Plate? I just bought one based off the reviews on Northern Brewer. Living in Florida I need to chill my beer and I'm trying to step up my home brewing game. I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on this piece of equipment. While I'm thinking of it can the cold water be gravity fed from a cold liquor tank or does it need to have the city water pressure behind it? Thanks again for advice tips and recommendations!

I don't own a plate chiller, but I circulate ice water through my IC with a cheap pond pump from home depot. Could be a solution if you need pressure but don't want to waste water. Just an idea if you haven't considered it already.

For future reference dudadeisal sells better performing chillers for cheaper. For these to work quickly you need to run the cold side through as fast as possible. The faster you pull the heat out the faster you can run the hot side.

The other thing to take into consideration is the temperature of the cold side supply. The colder it is the faster you can run the hot side. If your ground water is in the 80's like it is out here in San Diego this time of year, then you will never get below that. If you have a pump you could add some ice to your cold liquor tank and recirculate that through the chiller. You can get down to lager pitching temps this way.

Plate chillers are extremely fast and efficient during the chilling phase of the process. However, they are not fast during the preparation and cleaning phases.

After 63 brew sessions I upgraded to a Hydra immersion chiller and tossed my Therminator in the trash. Overall the plate chiller is a net negative.

View attachment 362345

Is that a grant assembly!

Is that a grant assembly!

Assume you are referring to the RIMS Rocket. That's for mash recirculation temp control.

I gravity drain right into kegs for fermentation (after hops and trub have settled). Takes about 4 mins to drain 13.5 gallons.

Back