Sherlock Holmes and Infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I wrote a week or two back about problems I was having with non-clearing/sour tasting batches. I could NOT find the source. I assumed it was yeast temps and lack of attention to detail with yeast washing.

After some careful investigative work I have determined that the source of my problems with 99% certainty is an older primary bucket that must be holding some nasties in the scratched surface. I combed through notes, beersmith files, and ransacked my keg fridge. I replace hoses, gaskets in kegs, and other equipment. I bought new yeast and set up a swamp cooler to control temps.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch two weeks ago, identical, brand new yeast was pitched. 2 weeks in primary, and one is nearly perfectly clear. The other is cloudy and sour. With that information I traced back the use of that bucket, and I am pretty gosh darn sure that all my bad batches came from that fermenter!!

So, lesson learned the hard way. I have ditched both plastic buckets and will buy two new ones from my HBS. I think I will soon move up to fermenting in only glass or stainless steel.

I always read about nasties becoming a problem in older plastic buckets....now I believe it. Hope this helps someone else along the way!

Brew on.

Alan

There's always Better Bottles. They're harder to scratch because of the small opening at the top. Unless, of course, you deliberately put something in there that could scratch it.

Good reason to only use oxiclean and soft sponges or wash cloths in your buckets and plastic fermenters.

Buckets are a cheap item to replace compared to the loss of a single batch of beer.

Glass carboys! I know there are a few horror stories, but I love mine compared to my Better Bottle and plastic bucket. Easier to clean, IMO.

Back