Shelving for Vintage Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmangini19

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum but I did search already and didn't find an existing thread so I thought I would start a new one.

I am restoring a 1950 Hotpoint refrigerator to be a beer fridge as well as a Kegerator. I have a picture of what the inside looked like (right now it is being prepped for paint). I am looking to make / buy some shelving that I can put on the left or right side that will give me 3-4 shelves for additional beer bottles or cans. I have a small rack I am putting in the freezer bin for frosting mugs as well.

I was looking into making a shelf unit from 3/4" PVC pipe with either custom wood shelves (sealed to keep out moister) or PVC Board. The shelf unit needs to be free standing as I removed all of the internal shelf components except for the shelf next to the freezer bin. I am closing off all of the other holes for a more clean look.

Opposite the shelf unit will be a single Coney Keg and other contraption I am working on to hold my CO2.

Has anyone seen/used these types internal shelf units for their Kegerators? Any one make something similar that I can mod for my use?

Thanks everyone for your help! This project is getting close to completion and this shelf is going to be the finishing touch.

full.jpg

My concern would be if the free standing shelving unit would be stable, if its not attached to the wall of the fridge somehow.

I *love* the look of vintage fridges - this should be very cool!

Thanks for the suggestions. I had looked into that stainless steel shelving, yes it is expensive but would definitely be a one time purchase. The problem with that which I didn't like is it isn't able to be customized to what I would like to do.

I did some thinking last night and came up with an idea that might work. I am thinking of building the shelving structure with PVC. It will go side to side and up to the existing shelf and freezer bin. I'm thinking I can fit 3 shelves that will accommodate a beer bottle standing up or ar least two for bottles and one that would fit cans. This will be on the left side. the first shelf will be just a few inches above the fridge floor. The reason for this is that on the right side I want to have room for the keg to slide in but for there to also be a shelf just to the right of it with a hole in it for the Co2 tank to sit into to help keep it from tipping over.
If I can make it work I would also like to have a detachable piece the is form fitted around the keg as well so it sits inside the bottom shelf but if I just pull up the front board, I can easily slide the keg in and out.

To make it stable, I was thinking of filling the PVC verticals with sand to help add weight. I would also secure the top of the shelf unit to the existing upper shelf to help secure it to the inside of the fridge.

The material for the Shelf boards will be PVC board. I'm still working on the best way to secure the boards to the pvc. I included a mock up of what I described above. Let me know what you think...any major flaws or improvements are welcome.

specs - Shelves.jpg

Back