shelflife of dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I drank a bottle of Boulevards Lovechild in anticipation of brewing the following day. Brewing was postponed and I now have a bottle of dregs from 3 days ago in my refrigerator. The bottle was sprayed with starsan prior to opening and has been covered with a sanitized piece of tin foil ever since (refrigerated). Is this still OK to use? If it helps, I'm planning to brew tomorrow night after work if I still have the energy or possibly the following morning (making the dregs either 4, or 5 days old). Thanks for all your help guys. Cheers!

I drank a bottle of Boulevards Lovechild in anticipation of brewing the following day. Brewing was postponed and I now have a bottle of dregs from 3 days ago in my refrigerator. The bottle was sprayed with starsan prior to opening and has been covered with a sanitized piece of tin foil ever since (refrigerated). Is this still OK to use? If it helps, I'm planning to brew tomorrow night after work if I still have the energy or possibly the following morning (making the dregs either 4, or 5 days old). Thanks for all your help guys. Cheers!

You can try making a starter and see what happens

I'm not sure about how much they last as it's a "living being", maybe it's still alive but with a different population ratio than it was prior to contacting with oxigen again, who knows

i keep dregs from my fermenter in the fridge for weeks, and pitch it....still make alcohol...take my word like a pinch of salt....

I should have mentioned that the dregs are not the primary pitch. I'll be using Bugfarm so there will be plenty of viable yeast and microbes, I was just worried acetobactar forming in an opened bottle but am not sure if that is a valid concern or not.

i keep dregs from my fermenter in the fridge for weeks, and pitch it....still make alcohol...take my word like a pinch of salt....

If you keep dregs in the fridge for weeks then it sounds like I shouldn't have anything really to worry about. Thanks!

Back