Shelf Life (yep, another noob asking)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppers16

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've heard various reports about people happily drinking beers decades after bottling and the general advice on this forum seems to be to let beers age for months before even drinking, yet the advice with my beginners 'British pub-style bitter' kit is that shelf life is 2-3 months. I know the kit instructions are never to be trusted but I'm still curious as to the various factors behind shelf life and what shelf life you think is to be expected with reasonably light beers.

So far I understand that shelf life is longer for:
  • dark beers over lagers etc.
  • Bottled over kegged
  • Glass bottles over plastic
  • Higher alchohol (particularly over 8%)
  • Cold storage in the dark
  • Good sanitation and minimal oxidisation

Are there other factors?
For example:
  • Beginners kit vs. proper brew?
  • Bottles matured at room temperature for a few weeks rather than straight to the fridge? (if you refrigerate earlier will the beer still mature in the same way given time?)
  • Time fermented before bottling?
  • Additional ingredients? E.g. adding fruit flavours to cider or mead

I appreciate this is one of those variable things best left to experience, and to be honest even I would probably get through 40 pints in 3 months, but I'm just curious.
Given my bitter was bottled with minimal oxidisation into sanitized glass bottles, what would your estimate be?

Thank you!

It really does depend on the beer and the way it is packaged and stored, dark and cool is better than light and warm. Conditioning time and storage time are two different things.

Also, some beers like Hefeweizens are better younger than older. If your beer had some issues a longer conditioning time may help it out a bit so you will need to drink some at different points to determine how it's coming along.

I brew my beer and ferment for usually 3 weeks, no secondary unless dry hopping. I bottle and condition/carbonate for 3 weeks and then pop a few in the fridge for a few days to sample and see where it's at. For storage I have a cool 67 degree dark closet where the cases go. I am working on some beers right now that have been stored for 6 months to a year and they have been tasting great!

It really does depend on the brew. Wheats and IPA's are best young. They will stll be very drinkable with age but lose the fresh flavor and aroma that defines them.

A big stout or Belgian brew actually improves with age. I have several of those that have been aging for over a year and they are great. I usually plan on not even touching most of me Belgians for several months.

have been stored for 6 months to a year and they have been tasting great!
Are they particularly dark beers??
I have to say this 2-3 months advice seems to be the company covering themselves rather than actually reflective of real life!

boxofjibboo said:
What about oxygenized caps? Are they necessary?

Not necessary but beneficial and regarding the beer I have stored they vary, some IPA's, some Pales, a Dunkel, a Cali Common, and then some Porter and my Holiday ale. So no, they are not all dark beers and I have

Latest posts

Back