Shelf Life of Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyDude

Loud Mic
Reaction score
I have a couple of kits for Blonde Ale that I wasnt able to get brewed when I wanted to.
They have grains and LME in a vacuum sealed heavy plastic bag.

They have been in the garage in So Cal for about 9 months. Do I need to toss them or will they still be good?

Should I save the grains and replace the LME? how about those packets of yeast?

They'd have been better if the yeast & LME had been stored in the fridge,hops in the freezer. The garage isn't a good place to store kits.

I sat on an Irish stout kit for over a year (extract made in mid-2012 if I'm reading the bottom of the jar correctly). I refrigerated the yeast and the hops when I got it; everything else kept indoors at room temp. Replaced the yeast after it passed the use-by date but kept everything else. It's bubbling away in primary right now and at least it smells pretty good. I'll know soon enough if it was past its prime.

I had 3 extract kits that I brewed in late December - early January that had an expiration date of 2010 that I kind of forgot I had. I meant to brew them within 6 months of buying them but we got busy with stuff around the house and never got around to brewing them until just recently. I had them stored in a storeage container in the basement which stays betwen 64-68 degrees year round, the hops were put in the freezer when I first got the kits. I brewed all three of them with fresh yeast, they all turned out just fine.

Thanks All,
I didnt get a chance to look for the generous answers you gave me until today, I did go ahead and brew last night though and will see how it goes!

Back