Shelf life of bottled beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hop flavor will taper off with time. But you'd be surprised how long it will last for. Just the other day there was a guy that left his beer sitting in the secondary for, get ready for this, 10 years. He found it and was like, "Oh yeah, I was making beer a decade ago". He added some yeast and bottled it anyways. It turned out just fine.

As long as the seal on the bottle isn't broken, it will last a long time. Really high alcohol beers, think barleywines, can even develop new flavors with years of aging. I personally have opened a bottle of my fathers beer that was 30 years old. It wasn't anything to write home about, but it was still a drinkable beer. Of course, it probably was never a great deal better than that anyhow. (My father tended to use lager yeasts fermented at saison temps)

How long the beer will last in the bottle is directly proportional to how good your sanitation practices are, as well as how they are treated while in the bottle.

I've had some home brew that was around five years old. Maybe six. Seven? Some had sort of a cheap wine taste. Some had faded out flavors. Three years is no problem, even stored at room temperature.

Are you wanting to make an aged reserve box? I do that and am going to move it to the fridge, now that I have a beer fridge.

Depends on the beer and the care of the filled bottles. Also, your bottling technique will have a difference as well.

Back